Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Salon - November 20

Yikes - what a week at work! I got almost nothing done at home all week and almost missed my book club meeting this month. I did make the decision early in the week that I would make time to read even if it meant nothing got done around the house so I managed to finish two books (you may notice that This Republic of Suffering is, at last, no longer on my sidebar). I'm so looking forward to the coming long weekend. Hope my family doesn't mind if I lock myself in my room with a pile of books and don't come out for a couple of days!

I steer clear of talking politics on the internet (doing so tends to cause problems!) but I did want to remark on the fact that a large number of writers have now lent their names to the Global Occupy Movement. So much of what we see of the movement on television might be called a "hippy" element. It's interesting to me to see so many educated, well-spoken people lending their "voices." I'm not sure what the end result will be of the movement but I do know that when Paris Hilton is more popular than Congress, it's probably time to take a hard look at the way our system operates, no matter what side you're on!

Utterly unrelated but I thought it was funny:


Ever felt like you were doing something equally as ridiculous? I'm thinking that I'll finally put up my Thanksgiving decorations today even though we're not having Thanksgiving here. With all I need to do, it seems kind of pointless but I just can't make myself put up Christmas decorations unless I've decorated for Thanksgiving first!

This week I've got my final Fall Feasting review. Trish of Love, Laughter and A Touch of Insanity asked if I was planning on doing Fall Feasting again next year and said she'd join me if I did. I was thinking of doing it again (I just have to remember that a year from now!) and I'd love to have people join me. There are still so many foody books left for me to read!

I've got a guest review from my mom up this week as well. Grateful for that - it's hard to fill a blog on a regular basis when you hardly have time to read a book, let alone write the review! This week I'll continue to read books related to the U.S. Civil War for the War Through The Generations challenge. Since a couple of them will also work for the Historical Fiction Challenge, I may well be able to complete two challenges soon.

Are you going to be able to fit any reading into this busy week or will your focus be on food, family, football and shopping? I'm going to try to make time for all five!

13 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about talking politics! On the positive side, I think stepping up and demanding change is part of our birthright in the U.S. and I applaud and encourage it. I think it's what our founding fathers had in mind. On the other hand, since the Occupy group has such undefined goals, all sorts of people can use it to give a face to their personal agendas, which I think diminishes the momentum and validity of the Occupy group. I think they need to define themselves more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to get some reading done this week! I have three days off, plus the weekend. Grades are due (again) the following week, but I'm joining Thankfully Reading with Jenn's Bookshelves to motivate me. I hope you have a wonderful, restful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of reading to do this week, as next week is going to be very busy on the blog. I have a couple of book tours and something that I want to get posted, so there will be no aimless tarrying around the house and staring off into space and daydreaming! It sounds like you will be very busy, but I do hope that you can chill out and relax with a few great reads and get some good reading time in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope with work being so busy you like it! I don't know how bloggers with busty jobs and families find tine to blog especially with reading too! I'm glad you were able to read at least a little bit this week. Reading is a sanity saver for me probably for you too?

    I'd love to join you for Fall Feasting next year. I love foodie books!

    That photo is hilarious...I know what you're talking about. Thanksgiving decorations will look nice and be enjoyed by you and your family even if you're going somewhere else for Turkey Day!
    What are you going to read over the long weekend besides A Seperate Country?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how I feel about the Occupy Movement...a few rotten apples can spoil the whole barrel. I agree with you though about politics..it sure can stir people up!! I can't wait for your mom's review..that will be fun. Just remember in a few short days Thanksgiving will be here and hopefully you will find some time to hide and read!!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There will definitely be reading. The only thing I have to cook is a dessert for Thursday...so it should be a pretty low-key weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love it if you made Fall Feasting an event! I'd definitely join in. Happy Thanksgiving, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a great week and find time for some reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to talk politics since I truly enjoy hearing peoples views. I'm content with not trying to sway someone to the darkside... as long as they know why they feel the way they do.... education!

    I'm not sure what I think about OWS... they don't seem to have a goal... it will be interesting to watch what happens. The US is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what - I've done one of those windshield cleanings when it was out raining. People must have thought me weird or something, but I was actually trying to figure out if my glass was foggier/smudgier than usual and started washing it. ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My reading as slowed this month and I'm sad - but I have so much to do! and here I am sitting and reading blogs. "just one more"
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got to fit reading into this week or I will lose my mind. I am not a sane person when my reading time gets cut-out.

    I will be finishing 1Q84 tomorrow in time for me to start the new King book. Then I have to read Lamb and one other book whose title escapes me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I'd love if you made Fall Feasting a "thing" next year! :)

    I skipped the Thanksgiving/Halloween decorations this year--just too much--but I do plan on pulling out the Christmas decorations this weekend. Or at least some of them. We already have neighbors who have put up their Christmas stuff. Crazy!

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Lisa. I'm still in awe that it's November! Not sure if I'll get any reading done. I told Scott last night that I was going to bed with my book and he could not come in and turn on the TV until 9:30. Only read the first 10 pages of Affinity but I'm hoping to get a bit more ME stuff read this week. (I'm even four months behind in my Real Simple magazine!!) ;)

    ReplyDelete