Sunday, January 1, 2012

Kicking Off The New Year With Some Challenges (Because I Just Can't Help Myself!)

I know what you're thinking: "why does she keep signing up for challenges when every year she fails at so many of them or is racing at the end to try to finish them?" It's kind of like saying, every year on January 1st, I suppose, that I'm going to start exercising regularly this year. Every new year brings new hope - hope that I really will find a way to balance all of the things that I want to do, hope that I really will find the willpower to make myself do the things that are good for me, hope that, this year, everything will work out just the way it should. So, yes, yes I am signing up for a few challenges again this year but once again with the full knowledge that I will not beat myself up if I find, in November, that there is no way I'll get through everything.


First up, I'm once again joining the War Through The Generations Reading Challenge. This year's focus will be on World War I. I'm only going in to this one at the "Dip" level (1-3 books), largely because I'm going to try to read mostly from my own books for the challenge and I'm not sure how many books I have that have this war as a theme.


Here's one I actually succeeded at in 2011, the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge. Once again, I'm in at the Struggling Addiction level, which means that I'm shooting for ten historical fiction novels in 2012. In theory, this one should be a piece of cake for me given my love of history. We'll see!


My biggest challenge failure in 2011 was with my own Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge. Not only did I not read a single book for it, I completely failed to add a single post or review to the site the entire year. Surprisingly, there are still people interested in jumping on board and giving it another go in 2012. So, once again, I'm hosting the Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge. Must get that list out and see what movies/books I can knock out this year. Charles Dickens, you will not scare me off again!


Last, but certainly not least, is the Mount TBR Reading Challenge which I previously announced. Getting through the rest of the challenges will definitely help with this one. Maybe if I can do really well with this one, there will be enough room on my bookshelves to justify asking for books for Christmas in 2012!

That's it for me - for now at least! Unless you've found one that I really must join. What challenges are you joining this year?

14 comments:

  1. That makes me feel so much better that you didn't read any books for your own challenge. ;)

    I'm interested in the War through the Generations challenge as WWI fascinates me, but I'm proud to be Challenge Free. Ha! I do look forward to seeing what you pick, though.

    Hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa I decided to do the historical fiction challenge you linked to -- you inspired me. I linked up over there, and as soon as I can get my blog layout working, I'll add the widget. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Challenges are too fun to not sign up for! Who cares if you don't complete them?? Atleast you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge I have been looking for it.

    I wish you luck on all your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're joining us again this year! I have a few WWI books on my shelf, and I plan to read those first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the same boat this year, Lisa! I couldn't resist joining a few! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL that's ok. It's hard to ignore the siren's call of the challenge. Good luck and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still undecided about the war through the generations challenge - I've been meaning to join it since two years ago. I've been trying to stay off challenges this year. Hope you complete all of yours! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hosting a challenge this year, so I'm shakin' in my boots, hoping that I can stay organized and on top of it all :) I might need to do a TBR Challenge, though. Good gracious, I have so many that are just screaming to be read, I just need something to kick me in the pants so I can pick it up and read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting. I love books about WWI! My favorite recent novel was Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden. Can I ask what you are going to read?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No official challenges this year. My two personal challenges are War and Peace and The Bible cover to cover. I know it's only the 4th but I'm off to a very slow start.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My own personal challenge is knocking off those owned books of mine! though, I just hit the library and walked home with way more than I had planned...sigh! Good luck with the rest. look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand signing up for reading challenges in the new year even if you didn't complete all of last years. Participating in reading challenges is a way to organize your reading a bit and you can't try to finish a reading challenge if you don't participate in it and, finally, if you don't manage to finish them at the end of the year...so?!

    I'm very interested in your Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge as I love the book list. But 2 years ago when I signed up for it, I failed miserably!

    Good luck, Lisa and Happy New Year - I hope you enjoy whatever books you read this year!

    I only entered a few this year and have not done my post about them yet! Hopefully it'll be up on my blog tomorrow. I am participating in War Through the Generations this year and really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete