Monday, May 7, 2012

Movies That Inspire Me To Read

When a new movie is released based on a book I've been wanting to read, I'm always struggling to figure out if I want to quickly read the book first or watch the movie first. I'm so often disappointed by the movie version that I've lately found that I enjoy reading the book after even if some of the surprise is taken out of it. Sometimes, though, the decision is taken out of my hands. Sometimes I don't even know a movie I'm watching is based on a book (The Descendants is the most recent example of that) and sometimes I find a movie on television based on a book I've thought about reading but just never picked up. Those are the movies that truly inspire me to go out and buy the books sooner rather than later. Today that movie was the 1995 adaptation of Alan Paton's Cry, The Beloved Country starring James Earl Jones and Richard Harris. Certainly I have heard a lot about the book and have known it to be one of the books I "should" read. But, for some reason, I've just never picked it up.

Cry, The Beloved Country is the story of Stephen Kumalo, an Anglican priest in
South Africa struggling to hold his family together, and his neighbor, wealthy landowner, James Jarvis. Kumalo journeys from his village to Johannesburg to help his sister and find his son who went in search of her previously. He is dismayed to find that his sister has turned to prostitution but his heart is broken when his son, Absalom is arrested for killing Jarvis' son, Arther, a white man working for racial justice. The story, as seen in the movie, is as much about the relationship between the two fathers as it is about the racial situation in South Africa.

For a movie that was made as recently as 1995 and which stars two such powerful actors, I suppose this movie is a bit of a disappointment. In some ways, it had the feeling of a made-for-t.v. adaptation or a 1970's movie. Yet the story is so moving and Jones and Harris such powerful actors, that I was drawn into this intimate story about the damage human cruelty can inflict. A trip to Half-Price Books is in my very near future and I will definitely be looking to bring Cry, The Beloved Country home with me.

11 comments:

  1. When the Oscar noms came out this year and so many were based on books, I had the urge to run to the library to get them all. (Didn't get it done, but I was inspired momentarily.) But, I rarely think the movie stands up to the book, so may be a good thing I didn't read them.

    I have also seen movies (Mr. Holland's Opus is one that stands out), that I sat in the theater until the last credit rolled, hoping to spot "based on the book by..." The movie was so good, I really wanted there to be a book. ( Unfortunately there wasn't a book behind "Mr. Holland")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read this book for a very long time, but it never seems to even make it onto my TBR shelf. And I didn't know it was a movie.

    Hope the book lives up to your expectations.

    I really don't like spoilers when I read, so watching the movie first usually doesn't work, but if I do see something based on a book, I usually have to read the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched this movie yet, but I do have it recorded on my dvr. I also loved this novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked this one up, the book. Watched the movie a year or so ago. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the book as well. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of those that I read, loved, but never got around to writing about. The book is very powerful as well but I didn't realize until recently that it was a movie as well. After reading the book I think it would be tough to translate well to the big screen. I hope you can find a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see this movie. I've never read the book. Is it on netflix?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have inspired me to pick this book up again! For some reason I have never managed to finish it, but not because it isn't absolutely beautiful. For whatever reason I have been distracted away from it after the first 50 pages or so on three separate readings. The language is so poetic and moving that I always start back at the beginning. I loaned my copy and never got it back, so a trip to Half-Price may just be in my future as well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is a favorite of my good friend Aarti, and she, and now you have convinced me that I need to read this one sooner rather than later! I think it sounds amazing, and like something that I would really like, and there is the movie to watch when I am done! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The movie that inspired me to read was The Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a lovely post. I saw the movie Cry Freedom (based loosely on Donald Woods writings on Steve Biko) when I was 14 years old. Growing up in Southern Africa in the 80s, this was an eye-opener and one of the most heart-breaking movies I'd ever seen. This made me read Cry the Beloved Country, but I am now keen to re-read it again - I will probably have a deeper appreciation for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't watched this movie but I do have the book. This is one that I've been meaning to read for a very long time too!

    ReplyDelete