Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pin It And Do It Challenge - Steel Cut Oats






I've tried this one before - I got it from Trish of Love, Laughter & A Touch of Insanity - but for some reason I haven't been able to get it to pull up in a while. Then I found it again on Pinterest when I was looking for another recipe to try. It's still my favorite - it's a great base and can be easily adapted. This time I once again skipped the apple and instead used a blend of dried fruit. I also substituted agave nectar for the brown sugar.

I've yet to try making steel cut oats on the stove. I have a notion that would require a lot more attention than the crockpot variety. I've also never let this cook all night - I've found that it only takes about four to five hours to cook to perfection and I don't want to overcook it. But I'd really like to wake up to my breakfast already warm! I wish my crockpot had a lower than low temperature setting!


7 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to try this... just 'repinned' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about agave nectar for a long time but still haven't tried it. Sounds like it is a good substitute? I've made steel cut oats at the stove - if you manage to get the burner just right, it doesn't really require *total* attention in spite of what it claims! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful, and I would love to try it. I also wish my crockpot had a lighter setting, as I would love to put this in and then wake up to a yummy hot meal in the morning. Great job with this challenge, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post and I will be stealing this recipe for sure!!! I've been wanting to start eating steel cut oats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to try it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've pinned this one too. I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this but don't like letting it cook all night either. Tell me how you do it--what time do you start it at night and then do you just keep it on warm after it's done cooking? If I start mine at 10ish and let it cook for 7 hours then it starts getting crispy around the edges. Would love to prevent that. I have another steel cut oats recipe I want to try this weekend. Calls for almond butter. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete