Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Salon - October 28



Hoping this is finding all of my east coast friends, followers and family members safe and ready for Hurricane Sandy. Fingers crossed that "they" are wrong and this won't be as bad as predicted.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Foo Fighters's 1997 release "The Colour and the Shape. Fifty-two years old and these guys can still make me want to do a little head banging. And then my neck gets sore and my head starts to hurt - getting old sucks.



Watching: Lots and lots of baseball - Miss H has fallen in love with the sport and we have watched at least some of every single playoff game and the world series. Sadly, her beloved Yankees bowed out early but it looks like her choice to win the World Series might just sweep her grandpa's even more beloved Detroit Tigers. And the rotten kid doesn't even feel a bit guilty cheering against them.

Cooking: Ebelskivers (Danish pancakes) to celebrate the birthday of one of Mama Shepp's girls on Monday and today I'm making cheesecake to celebrate Papa's and my thirtieth wedding anniversary on Tuesday.


Making: Big changes in my basement. I've been tweaking it ever since Mini-him moved home but it just wasn't working for me. So yesterday I started a major rearranging project that I'm very happy with so far. Every single thing in the basement will get reviewed to see if it's worth finding a new home for and I am being ruthless. I've even gotten The Big Guy on board which is a rarity; he hates getting rid of anything. Must be my anniversary present from him!

Grateful for: Thirty years with The Big Guy. They have not always been easy years but we have also had so much happiness together, raised three wonderful children, and grown to understand what it means to be committed to one person for the rest of your life. I can't imagine anyone else I would rather spend another thirty years with!

Happy about: Having utterly overcome my dislike, in recent years, of fall. I have absolutely enjoyed the colors, the smells, the foods, even the cooling temperatures. I know it means winter is just around the corner (which I hate!), but this year I've refused to let that ruin three months for me.

Looking forward to: A nice quiet week with time to finish up my basement project, time to read, and time to get my house put back in order. Between a vacation trip and being sick, things have kind of fallen apart around here. What are you looking forward to this week?

I'm finishing up Marisa de los Santos' Falling Together for review this week and then I don't have a single book I'm committed to reviewing on schedule for the rest of the year. So, yeah, I guess I'm looking forward to reading whatever I feel like for the rest of the year. What are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. thanks Lisa. We're as battened down as we can be here in New York City. My daughter lives at the Jersey Shore in the area where they expect landfall, but inland 3 miles -- and we're hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressive about the Ebelskivers! And I hope you have a very happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your last paragraph! I just started my last review book of the year too!! The basement re-do sounds great and it's always fun to minimize and get rid of stuff!! those Danish Pancakes look amazing..send some my way. I just turned off Game 4 of the World Series but I'm hoping to wake up to find out that the Tigers won!!

    Have a great week and enjoy Fall while it lasts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had my eye on an ebelskiver pan at Williams-Sonoma for a couple of years now...should probably let the 'elves' know ;-) Congratulations on 30 years... we're closing in on that milestone and appreciate what an accomplishment that really is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots going on! This has been a pretty Fall around here with the colors but I still prefer Spring to any month after September. Happy 30th Anniversary and happy basement re-arranging. I spent a few hours (yes, hours!) to open up a box and weed out trash - old financial papers that went in the shredder. SO, one box down and a few more to go...
    I'm about to finish Anna Karenina waiting for Storm Sandy and then hopefully will be able to have enough light to read who knows what! I have nothing in mind but a few books clamoring to be first so we'll see what wins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Fall and I love winter. I know! I want a nice mother of a winter so there will be some respite before the sweltering heat again. We don't have the nice cool springs here in Nashville so if the winter is really mild, there's not respite between seasons.

    Oh, how I wish I could also be saying that I've finished my last review book, but alas, I still have a stack of 40+ to get to someday. They're not going anywhere, that's for sure. =O)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am rearranging the house as well, and had to stop midway to get some sleep. Now I have a half finished living room, and a half finished kitchen. It makes me nuts!! I have a friend who is helping me de-clutter. It's a painful process. I love my stuff! I don't want it to be gone!!

    ReplyDelete