Sunday, March 29, 2015

Life: It Goes On - March 29

Seriously? March is almost over? How did that happen?

It's been a busy parenting month around here, something I didn't necessarily think I'd be saying when all of my kids were grown adults. Miss H has had one malady after another these past few months and has needed more mothering than she did before she moved out including spending three nights with us this past week.

This week has been all about getting ready for Mini-him's ready to move today. We went through everything we've been storing the past couple of years and found some surprises, many of which found their way to the Goodwill or the garbage. Helped me reach my 40 Bags in 40 Days goal! Tonight we will officially, for the first time, be empty nesters. For now.

This Week I'm:
Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse
in Silk Stockings

Listening To: I finished Jane Eyre on audio Friday so will start a new audiobook tomorrow but I'll decide which one when I get in my car. I'm thinking Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close but I might want to wait for that one until I have time to do a read/listen combination.

Watching: The Big Guy was out of town most of the work so I got control of the t.v. and, for once, there were actually things on that I wanted to watch when that happened. On my half day, TCM showed movie musicals (Silk Stockings, Kiss Me Kate, High Society) - perfect backdrop for my projects.

Reading: I'm just about finished with Light In August. It's been slow going, especially when I didn't have a lot of time to devote to it this week. When I'm finished, I feel I'll need something light, perhaps Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

Making: Orange chicken stir-fry, chicken stroganoff (why doesn't spell check know this word??)...not much else. Two dinners at my parents' this weekend, one dinner out, and one night of leftovers made for an easy week in the kitchen.

Planning: Now that my basement's significantly emptier, I'm looking forward working down there for the next couple of weeks, rearranging, cleaning, and, as always, organizing.

Grateful for: Super Glue - I broke a piece of a family heirloom set yesterday.  Luckily it's something that is strictly decorative at this point and was reparable.  Still, much sadness.    
                                                                                                         
My dining room as of Friday
Enjoying: Spending time with my parents and my brother and his wife, enjoying her new cocktail which we dubbed "Columbia Curdled Cocktail." It really was quite tasty if you could get it just right! The guys enjoyed sunshine and baseball while we ladies hit up a couple of our favorite stores. Looking forward to finding homes of my new purchases.

Feeling: Eager to have today over with. I don't understand moving without knowing for sure if you and your roommate will need a sofa or not. I do not do moves without total planning well at all!

Looking forward to: Putting my house back in order. The other thing I don't do well at all? Having much of my house full of piles of boxes and half-packed bins.

What are you looking forward to this week?

11 comments:

  1. Even though our house is empty Marc's room is just like he left it for college!! Sounds like life has been very, very, busy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love High Society and haven't seen it in far too long. I saw Kiss Me Kate on Broadway and it was amazing! I'll have to remember to check out TMC. I'm with you on the needing to plan and not liking my house full of boxes. Hopefully today goes smoothly and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughed at your kiddo moving woes and totally understand about the empty nest stuff. Good luck and, yes, adult children do seem to need parenting - more than I ever dreamed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have also been doing major cleaning, decluttering, and reorganizing over here. Trying to get ready for the baby over the next few months. I seriously love reorganizing projects, but they can take a lot of time! Hope you guys are adjusting well to Mini-him's move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been busy! I'm so sorry that the heirloom piece was broken but glad Super Glue is around to help save the day! Good luck with your organizing. Spring is so great for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 40 bags in 40 days - impressive! I made a little headway but nowhere near 40 bags. Enjoy some well-earned relaxation now that the move is done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Glue is a wonderful thing. I am sorry about the break though. My daughter dropped a Christmas tea cup from my husband's family Christmas china set a few years ago and we glued it back together. It can't be used again, but at least we were able to salvage it somewhat.

    I hope the move went well. I hate moving with a passion. I'm like you, I like to have things planned out. It hasn't always worked out that way--but it's nice when it does.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What am I looking forward to? Friday! I love Friday but we are attending Easter service Friday to see our friends get baptized!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always sound busy, but it's a good busyness when you have time for your family and friends and time on your own to get on with what needs to be done in the house as well as reading etc. Here I'm catching up with family and friends after our time away and preparing for Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parenting certainly doesn't end with the 18th (or even 21st) birthday, does it? I always say that the physical demands lessen as they get older, but the emotional ones seem to intensify. Hope all is well with your flock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, I wouldn't do well with a not-well-planned move either. That'd drive me nuts! I spy Scattergories in the corner of your dining room -- one of my favorites :)

    What I'm looking forward to: This weekend I'm throwing a baby shower with a couple of others for a good friend of mine. Lots to do before then, but a few hours hanging out at a local park sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete