Sunday, March 15, 2015

Life: It Goes On - March 15


My dad and Mini-him -
two of my favorite smile!
It's been a fun weekend here. Friday night the Big Guy and I joined friends to attend the Omaha Film Festival followed by drinks and noms. It's really a wonderful festival, movies from all over the world and I've never been disappointed.

Friday was also my dad's 80th birthday - he doesn't look 80, does he?! Later today we'll have a birthday dinner for him at my sister's house. He loves pies so I spent a good part of yesterday, Pi Day, baking pies. Plans have been in the works for months behind his back for a big family gathering later this spring. Looking forward to continuing the celebration when the entire clan can be together. Did I ever mention that we actually descend from a Scottish clan? Our clan even has a castle. That's a bucket list trip!

This Week I'm:

Listening To: The Natalie Merchant station on Pandora, the Punch brothers, and Jane Eyre on audio. A little more than half done with the book. It's well read, particularly considering it's a Librivox recording.

Watching: I've been enjoying some musicals this week, including Les Miserable and Oliver. Poor BG got stuck watching the later and he was, once again, somewhat startled how well I knew the songs. Not so much how well I sang them even though I was, of course, singing along.

Reading: I'm at the half-way point of Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True which was as far as we were to read this month for book club. It was hard to put it down but I know how hard it is to not let out any spoilers if I read ahead. I started As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner which I'm reading with a blogging friend. Faulkner's writing is just so amazing!
That chocolate looks kinda pink, huh?
Making: Chicken, gravy and new potatoes; tacos; chicken and broccoli pasta bake; and pies! Today we'll be having cherry, sour cream raisin and chocolate French silk pies. The French silk is Ree Drummond's (The Pioneer Woman) recipe. From licking the beaters, I'd say it's a winner!

Planning: a pseudo St. Patrick's day feast for book club Tuesday. I don't think any of us particular cares for green beer but we'll work some Irish into the noshes.

Grateful for: Fifty-four years with my dad. I know how many are not as fortunate and I've got a especially wonderful one who's also the best grandpa my kids could have.

Enjoying: The weather! Doors and windows open, flip flops, no need for coats, several meals on the patio this week. I'm sure it won't be quite this nice clear through spring (winter has a nasty way of rearing its ugly head one last time in March) but it is so nice to be done with socks for the season!

Eddie Redmayne as
Lili Elbe
Feeling: Excited about the making of David Ebershoff's The Danish Girl (my review of the book) into a movie starring Eddie Redmayne. Can you believe what a striking woman he makes? The Danish Girl was:

"Inspired by the true story of Danish painter Einar Wegener and his California-born wife, this tender portrait of a marriage asks: What do you do when someone you love wants to change? It starts with a question, a simple favor asked of a husband by his wife on an afternoon chilled by the Baltic wind while both are painting in their studio. Her portrait model has canceled, and would he mind slipping into a pair of women's shoes and stockings for a few moments so she can finish the painting on time. "Of course," he answers. "Anything at all." With that, one of the most passionate and unusual love stories of the twentieth century begins."

Looking forward to: Birthday dinner today and book club on Tuesday. What are you looking forward to this week?


6 comments:

  1. A very happy birthday to your Dad! Looks like you guys will celebrate it right - with pies. Those sound really good. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats a good pie! Hope he enjoys his birthday celebration!

    I'm really looking forward to the movie version of The Danish Girl, it was a gorgeous book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your Dad - he looks great!! Enjoy the celebration.

    Wally Lamb is a favorite and I loved I Know This Much is True.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for The Danish Girl movie.

    We've done Oliver twice now and it's never all that popular as a kids show but I always find that the music sticks with me long after we've finished it. My son got to kill Nancy the last time. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The film festival sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Happy birthday to your dad! I sing along to both Oliver and Les Miserables when I watch them, much to my husband's chagrin. :-) My daughter hasn't had the pleasure of seeing either yet. We're thinking of going to see Beauty and the Beast in May--the ballet version. It'll be my daughter's first. I hope she likes it!

    David Ebershoff's The Danish Girl has long been on my list of books to read. I was actually just looking at it on my shelf the other day thinking I should pull it off and actually read it.

    Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Dad looks great - hard to believe he is 80! Hope he had a happy bday! I love Wally Lamb's books and I Know This Much Is True is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete