Sunday, November 19, 2017

Life: It Goes On - November 19

It's November 19th and I just went outside in my barefoot. The backdoor is standing open. It is only 48 degrees but, in the sun, it feels warm. And I know how few days we have left before going barefooted is no longer possible.

This homebody has certainly had a busy week! Sunday Miss H and I went to a basketball game; Monday night Miss H, The Big Guy, and I went out to eat because Miss H and I had free pizza to redeem; Tuesday night I had book club;  Thursday BG and I went to the U.S. Olympic Team Curling Trials; and Friday Miss H and I went back to them. I would have loved to have gone back again last night for the final match; but, let's be honest, I really didn't want to have to get cleaned up in time to go. Or leave my house again.


This Week I'm:

Listening To: The soundtrack to La La Land. Mostly in my head. Seriously, I cannot get those songs out of my head! I like the soundtrack well enough but a week of it is quite enough.

Watching: My late night movie this weekend was the 1965 version of Rodgers' and Hammerstein's Cinderella, starring Lesley Ann Warren, Celeste Holms, Ginger Rogers, Walter Pidgeon and Stuart Damon (remember him as Alan Quartermaine on General Hospital?!). I adore this movie but I'm the only one in my house that does so I can only watch it when I'm by myself.

Reading: I finally finished The Witches and spent a couple of days dipping into new books. I finally settled on Helen Oyeyemi's What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours. It's pretty much perfect after two heavy nonfiction reads.

Making: Between eating leftovers and eating out (dinner both nights of curling was at the event), I was hardly in my kitchen this past week. Yesterday I did use the last of this year's tomato crop to make homemade marinara sauce so we had spaghetti with that last night. Best marinara I have ever made so I'm looking forward to pulling out the container I froze later this winter.

Planning: Thanksgiving's long weekend. I need to get my Black Friday and Small Business Saturday shopping lists ready so I can knock out a bunch of Christmas shopping this weekend.

Thinking About: Miss H is heading off to South Carolina by herself on Friday. She'll be gone a week. You moms out there will know that I'm consumed with making sure she has everything she needs to make her travels safe. And then I won't stop worrying until she is back a week later.

Enjoying: Sunshine and fresh air.

Feeling: Unfocused.

Looking forward to: Family time. And my sis and her hubby spending the night Saturday night!

Question of the week: Ladies, have you ever traveled solo? If so, hit me with your best trips for staying awake in the car, being safe, things you need to take. Also, if you live in the south, what kind of weather might Miss H be driving into this time of year? And, if you live along the route from Omaha to Greenville, SC, can she hit you up if she needs help? (Can you tell I'm a worried mom?!)



5 comments:

  1. I always listen to books on tape and bring water and snacks! Your daughter will be fine! Have faith! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to watch the 1965 Cinderella movie with you!! And of course I remember Alan Quartermaine... we used to plan our classes around GH in the late 70s and early 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's supposed to be 92 on Thanksgiving Day, can you believe it? It is supposed to be fall with winter close on its heels! It sounds like you have been busy. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Black Friday shopping for me! I detest shopping at this time of year. If I can get everything online, I am one happy gal.

    Your daughter will be fine. Audiobooks, a playlist. Coffee. Lots of breaks. And I tend to talk to myself a lot when traveling by myself. It keeps me awake anyway.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I'd consider 48 degrees barefoot weather - sun or not! We watched the curling finals too and have gotten strangely into it. Our goal is to figure out what's going on without the use of the internet and so far are not doing badly! I love that version of Cinderella! I've been known to burst into the song Impossible at any given moment! Hope your week is going great!

    ReplyDelete