Sunday, January 21, 2018

Life: It Goes On - January 21

Good Sunday morning! Waiting for winter to return today after an absolutely gorgeous Saturday with temperatures in the 50's and sunshine. It was just the kind of day this girl needs to survive winter. It was a perfect day to get out and talk a walk with a few thousand of my like-minded friends. Our newspaper reported that 8,000 Omahans turned out for the Women's March yesterday. It's always good to hang out with a group of like-minded folks!

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I'm still listening to The Monsters of Templeton; I'm over half way through it at this point. Unfortunately, I'm not loving it and I'm seriously considering giving it up.

Watching: Longmire, This Is Us (finally finished season 1), West World, The Mindy Project, college basketball, football, Flea Market Flip, Divorce (with Sarah Jessica Parker) and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (just as much fun as the first one!).

Reading: I finally finished Far From The Madding Crowd and I'm starting Julia Heaberlin's Paper Ghosts since it's completely different.

Making: Bread (finally restocked my yeast and now I'm back to learning how to use my machine and tweak the recipes that came with it. Today I'm making a loaf of french bread. Next up will be sourdough. Last night I made the  best chicken pot pie I've ever made; no recipe, just tossing it together so I'm not sure I'll ever be able to recreate it!

Planning: I'm already thinking about a plan of attack for 40 Bags In 40 Days. You'd think that getting rid of 40 bags of stuff every year plus several additional trips to the Goodwill every year would mean it would be hard to find 40 more bags to get rid of but you'd be wrong. How can we still have so much stuff??

Thinking About: Reorganizing my books. Realistically this would mean moving them all into one room for sorting and organizing. Which is why this project is still in the "thinking about" stage.

Enjoying: After the march, since it was such a beautiful day and I was all the way downtown already, I spent about an hour and a half shopping our Old Market area and in my favorite used book store. After just reading that article about how having more books than you will ever read is actually good for you, I didn't feel the least bit guilty bringing home two new-to-me books (John Green's An Abundance of Katherines and Dave Eggers' Zeitoun).

Feeling: Inspired! There were so many people who had brought their young girls to the march, so many young men supporting women, so many older people, and such a great diversity of people. I'm ready to get to work to get out the vote and to help my friend who is running for office.

Looking forward to: Being deputized on Tuesday to register voters!

Question of the week: It's been cold all over the country this week - how are you all finding ways to stay warm?

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a good weekend. My mom participated in the walk in her town and said there was a great turn out. Some of the signs people made were pretty ingenious. I hope you have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a busy and rewarding week! All this cold is making me sleepy. I think I'm trying to hibernate. I'm not a fan! That's awesome about being able to register voters. Sounds like an interesting experience. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool you are being deputized to register voters. I have always wanted to work in the polls on election days. I am looking into the requirements to see if I can do so this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a little bit of book organizing this weekend, got rid of a big stack and shuffled things on my current shelves. I need to do a bigger project of reorganizing, but like you said, it's a big project and so I'm still thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete