Sunday, September 27, 2020

Life: It Goes On - September 27

Happy Sunday! It's grey and rainy here - good thing we knocked out most of the outdoor projects yesterday when it was warm and sunny. Heading out the door shortly to have lunch with my parents and pick up some landscaping stones they are getting rid of - part of my next project! Because, apparently, I've got to have a project going at all times. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I'm listening to Robin Diangelo's White Fragility: Why It's So Hard For White People To Talk About Racism. This one picks up on some things the other books I've been reading lately brought up - the things that white people do and say - and explains why we are the way we are. Hint: we were raised that way. Which is not to say anything bad about our parents - very often they were teaching us things they thought felt were not racist. Heck, I did some of these things with my kids. Like saying "I don't see color" or hushing my kids when they were little and pointed out that a person was black, as though that were something to be embarrassed about. 

Watched: Lots of cooking shows, baseball, basketball, and, football.

Read: I'm working on Joyce Carol Oates' Night, Sleep, Death and Stars. I'm really enjoying it but, guys, it's really long and I'm feeling like I'm in desperate need of something light and quick when I finish this. 

Made: Homemade tomato soup for dinner tonight which will be finished with fried cheese curds instead of grilled cheese sandwiches. I also pulled out the bread machine for the first time in months. I think I'm the only person in the country that didn't take up bread making during the pandemic. 

Enjoyed: Perhaps just a little too much wine on the patio last night when we did our weekly get together with friends. But it was so much fun and just the kind of therapy that works best for me. 

This Week I’m:  


Planning:
On finishing up my latest project (my brother-in-law gave me some old, old kitchen drawers that I'm turning into wall hangings for one of the guest rooms which I'll change out seasonally) and continuing my work on sorting the things I've saved over the years for the scrapbooks that never happened. The goal is to get all of the mementos paperwork into that cabinet and out of the dozen or so boxes that it's currently in. It's a lovely trip down memory lane as I go!

Thinking About: Soups and breads. Now that I've busted the seal on fall cooking, I'm ready to get back in the kitchen and create.

Feeling: Even though the kitchen is giving me the fall feels, watching all of my beautiful potted plants slowly dying has been feeling blue. I'm off to get some mums to replace some of them to try to perk myself back up again. We'll see if I can keep them alive this year!

Looking forward to: Well, I was looking forward to a trip north next weekend but my sister had some very good news this week and it won't work for her any  longer and CoVid has gotten more active in Rochester, which makes visiting Mini-me and Ms. S more risky. So that trip's getting pushed back. I'm hoping that means that I can talk The Big Guy into cleaning out the garage. How sad is that that I'm looking forward to that. Can you say "middle-aged?"

Question of the week: Is it feeling like fall there yet? Are you breaking out the soups or pumpkin spice yet? 




4 comments:

  1. I had a bread machine years ago but then something happened to it. Never replaced it. I thought I was the only person who didn't take up bread-making during the early pandemic months. Soups and fall foods are definitely on my mind, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a pumpkin fan but I am thinking more about soups lately. I didn't bring my mammoth crockpot up here and don't really have room for it anyway so I'm thinking about getting a smaller one. I don't really need such a big one anyway and I love making soups with it. Love the kitchen drawer wall hangings! And that you can change it out seasonally. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling like fall here? Last week, yes but this week we are into some summery days. Leaves are definitely showing colour though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really are working on a project at all times. Have fun with them. The drawer one is creative.

    Fall. It won't feel like fall here until mid-October, possibly the end of October. It is 104 today. I did put some holiday decor up but it looks dumb. Honestly. Out of place during this heat wave. My cooking has gone fallish and my drink choices as well. I am trying.

    We can't do pumpkins here until the day before Halloween or they rot out.

    ReplyDelete