Sunday, September 13, 2020

Life: It Goes On - September 13

Happy Sunday! The sun is shining this morning and it's finally going to be warm again. We had to turn on our heater on Tuesday; it was rainy, cold and grey for five days. It was hard to make myself get up off the sofa and do anything. But I had only to turn on the tv or pick up my phone to know that I had it so much better than the people on the west coast.  Sending prayers for those who have lost so much, those in the path of the fires, and those fighting the fires and hope that the weather soon offers them some relief. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I have books ready to listen to but I just couldn't make myself start one. So I listened to a lot of music, including a French Cafe Lounge playlist I found. 

Watched: Basketball, baseball, and football. I'm so happy to have football back but so worried for the young men playing, knowing that some of them are literally putting their lives on the line. 

Read: I finally got The Overstory back from the library. So weird to pick up a book again, half way through it, weeks after you put it down. It took me some time to remember who was who. 

Made: Soups, homemade spaghetti sauce, salmon...and also grilled burgers, caprese salad, corn on the cob. It's a weird time of year in the kitchen!

Enjoyed: Lunch with my parents last Sunday, sometime with Mini-him yesterday, and a chilly evening with friends last night. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: Because of the weather, I didn't get to work on any furniture last week so I've got a couple of pieces that I want to work on this week. But those may wait for a couple of days - I think I've got The Big Guy talked into cleaning out the garage today!

Thinking About: Making a trip north to see my kiddos and trying how figure out how to do it safely since it means traveling through states where CoVid numbers are rising, no matter which route we take. 

Feeling: Like I want to take a few days off to putter around the house getting things in order. Some people spring and fall clean. I get the spring and fall urge to organize and declutter. 

Looking forward to: Miss H's visit this coming weekend. 

Question of the week: How the heck are you all doing? Really, how are you holding up through this year that just seems to keep getting worse?

8 comments:

  1. The Overstory has been on my TBR shelf for a year now. It is weird to resume a book in the middle.

    I love cooking this time of year. I don't cook a lot in the summer because I mostly like cooking soups and stews, which are winter fare. But I love to cook in the fall--maybe it's a nesting instinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, let's face it, it's dark early, it's cold out - you just don't want to be outside which, for me, frees up a lot of time to do things like cook.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you had lunch with your parents and got to see Mini-Him. And yay for Miss H's visit! It isn't rainy and cold here but it is rainy and less hot which I'm glad for. I'm hoping the less hot temps stick around after the rain goes away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful that it's gotten warm enough again that we can get together with people outdoors. As soon as it gets down into the 60's again, it gets to chilly to spend much time sitting on the patio and I am so going to miss being with other people for the long winter.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've got some things to keep you busy and some yummy food to eat. I like to declutter and clean too around fall. We got out all the fall and Halloween stuff and have been putting it all up over the last couple of weeks. Which helps us clean and declutter the basement and other things around the house.

    I've been enjoying the cooler weather at night. We had some crazy hurricane winds last week but the weather has finally warmed back up and we're just experiencing cool nights. I'm actually loving the season right now. I have things to focus on and look forward to and it's keeping me from some major anxiety when it comes to November and forest fires and smoke and all the rest of it. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're cat sitting my son's cat this week. He has to stay in the basement because he doesn't get along with our cat; I hate for him to be down there alone too much so I spend a lot of time down there with him and I get so much done that I usually put off. We have bins and bins of things that I always intended to put into scrapbooks. I don't want to get rid of it (because, you know, maybe someday!) but I am being pretty ruthless about reducing what I'm keeping. It feels so good!

      Delete
  4. I can tell that I am not doing all that great. My body hurts all over and I can feel the beginnings of an ulcer once again. I can deal with a pandemic and what it brings but the impact on these college auditions is causing me a lot of anxiety. Heck, not even just the auditions. What if she makes it in and then school is online for Fall 2021? You really cannot do musical theatre virtually.

    I just feel really unsettled. I know many feel the same way but a little blue sky would help a lot. Fire yellow and gray and raining ash for days makes it feel like the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope things are starting to clear up there for you! I know that need for blue skies - it's one of the ways I get through the good days of winter - if I can look outside and see a sunny blue sky, I can convince myself it's not so bad!

    ReplyDelete