Sunday, January 26, 2020

Life: It Goes On - January 26

Happy Sunday!

After three weeks flying solo, The Big Guy is finally home. He was home five whole minutes before we were out the door because he needed to socialize with friends and only a couple of hours longer before we just started watching 2-20 minutes snippets of things on television trying to find something to watch. My neat and tidy home is already back to having towels hung up willy-nilly, blankets just tossed over a chair, and "stuff" everywhere. I'm not saying I didn't miss him but I do already miss the quiet!

Last Week I:

Listened To: I finally finished Africaville and started Ruth Reichl's Save Me The Plums. Reichl is reading it and I am really enjoying it.

Watched: While BG was gone, when the television's been on, it's been on with a purpose. I watched a season of Britain's Interior Design Masters, half of the final season of Orange Is The New Black, and the rest of season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. This weekend BG and I watched Nicholas Nickleby which starred Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy) and featured so many other well-known names.

Read: I finished The Starless Sea and started Michelle McNamara's I'll Be Gone In the Dark. Because I couldn't read a book about a serial killer when I was home alone in the evenings, I switched that up with more of Leslie Jamison's Make It Scream, Make It Burn. I had gotten of gotten bogged down on that one but it's picked back up again for me.

Made: Spaghetti pie, an updated version of tater tot casserole (even made my own cream of mushroom sauce instead of using a can of soup), and oatmeal butterscotch cookies.

Enjoyed: Lots of time with Miss H, just the two of us. Because she doesn't get home from work until late evening, we often ended up staying up until midnight talking and laughing. Not that we don't spend a lot of time doing those things when BG is home but we amped it up while he was gone.


This Week I’m: 

Planning: It's been too cold to spend much time in the basement the past couple of weeks (our basement is carpeted but doesn't have finished walls so it gets cold down there). This week is supposed to be warmer so I should be able to get back to my reorganizing down there. 

Thinking About: Putting away my snowmen for the year because I'm already over winter after spending some part of every day for a week shoveling snow or scraping off ice.

Feeling: Happy to be headed off shortly to have dinner with some of our oldest friends to celebrate BG's upcoming birthday.

Looking forward to: Book club on Tuesday. We had to reschedule last week because of a forecast of icy moving into our area just about the time we actually started talking about the book. Said iciness, of course, did not move in until after ten.

Question of the week: I'm pretty excited to have the sun shining today; make me a much happier girl. But I know a lot of people really enjoy rainy, cloudy days. Which do you prefer?



8 comments:

  1. I like the occasional rainy cloudy day but only if I don't have to go anywhere. More then a day or two of it though and I start feeling sluggish. Sounds like you've been watching some great stuff! I wasn't aware of that version of Nicholas Nickleby but it looks good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just chanced about the Nicholas Nickleby. I generally concede the tv to my hubby in the evenings; I perfectly content to just read while he watches as a general rule. But after three weeks of being in charge, I wasn't quite ready to give up complete control so I had to find something I thought we'd both enjoy and we really did.

      Delete
  2. We are nearly finished with Season 1 of Marvelous Mrs Maisel and I am really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd watch it for Midge's wit and the costumes alone!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about stuff everywhere! Yep - same story here.

    I am done with winter too but we didn't get a lot of snow yet. I'm still hoping for some more of that - the kids will love it and it will be a nice change in scenery for a bit. Just don't want the snow to stay too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my kids were young I was lucky enough to get to be a stay-at-home mom and then I didn't mind the snow nearly as much. If there was a lot of snow, they called off school and we didn't have to get out on the roads. Then the kids bundled up to play in it and I kept the cocoa and snacks coming and got to enjoy the beauty of it. I miss those days!

      Delete
  4. I like rain and clouds from time to time but I'm a sunshine girl and need it more often than not. This winter has been more cloudy and gloomy than I prefer. I'm definitely over winter and need some warmth and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I am home I like a cloudy, rainy day but if I am out a sunny, but cool day is nice.

    I went to the market last night to pick up supplies for two meals and the price floored me. Groceries have seriously gone up in price and I haven't even done my Superbowl food shopping yet.

    ReplyDelete