Sunday, August 22, 2021

Life: It Goes On - August 22

Happy Sunday! Hope all of you who are on in the path of these endless hurricanes are staying safe and those of you on the west coast are safe from the fires. If only there were a way to direct the rain where it is so badly needed!

It's been a quiet week around here. I missed a day of work (well, to be fair, I missed a half day because I worked a half day from home - goodness, it's nice to be able to do that!) and a bookclub meeting thanks to my allergies. You know how much I missed spending an evening with my friends!

Last Week I: 

Listened To: I finished listening to You'll Never Believe What Happened To Lacey, by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar, which is the Omaha Reads book this year and my bookclubs selection for September. It's an eye opener. Nothing else coming up soon for the books I have on hold so I decided to listen to podcasts until one does, rather than look for something that's available. 

Watched: The tv blathers on but the only things I've really watched are some preseason football; Home Town, Cheap Houses, and No Demo Reno on HGTV; and some of yesterday's TCM Katherine Hepburn marathon. 

Read:
 I bouncing between The Paper Palace, Reese Witherspoon's latest book club selection, and Oh, William, Elizabeth Strout's latest, which is more of Lucy Barton's story. 

Made: Mini-him and I grilled burgers one night and I made a southwestern salad to go with them, one night we had pasta with homemade sauce and meatballs, and Friday night I decided at nine o'clock to make a loaf of Bushman's bread. 

Enjoyed: Dinner with Mini-him one night and dinner with my dad last night - two of my favorite guys!

This Week I’m:  

Planning: On doing some Christmas shopping this week. Yeah, I know it's early, but I'd love to have Mini-me's and Ms. S's gifts ready for them to have shipped to Alaska with the rest of their household stuff instead of me paying $100 to ship them in December. 

Thinking About: I stumbled across a YouTube video the other day and the host was talking about minimizing what's in your kitchen. I don't think I'd want to take it to anywhere her extreme (she has one plate, one bowl, one glass for each family member - what does she do when she has company??). But when she talked about plastic storage containers, that hit home. I got rid of enough to fill a recycling bin. And now I'm fired up to work my way around the kitchen. What else do I keep because I have room for but don't really use? 

Feeling: Tired. I went to bed earlier than my usual weekend bedtime but woke up before I'd even gotten as much sleep as I usually do during the week. Thinking a nap will be needed to keep me productive the rest of the day.

Looking forward to: A visit from Mini-me this weekend!

Question of the week: How are you holding up? Between the weather, CoVid, kids moving away from home for a number of reasons, and politics, it's tough to keep it together, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I have a lot of kitchen storage and liked your idea of not keeping what isn't needed. I need to to do that as well. I have (3) sets of dishes plus Polish pottery and only really love my Fiesta and Polish pottery side dish pieces. I already tossed plastic storage and kept glass storage but, need to pare down glasses and a lot of bakeware as well. (Ugh, I'm tired thinking about it now LOL) I hope your daughter will be happy in ALaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??!! Christmas shopping? That always seems to creep up on me... I was shocked to see candy corn in CVS last week. Guess I'm still in summer mode...
    Can't wait to hear what you think of The Paper Palace and I'm really looking forward to Oh William!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If only there were a way to direct the rain where it is so badly needed!" I've been thinking the same thing!

    I watch all those HGTV shows and so many more, I've been addicted to that channel
    I have Oh, William on my list to read.

    I love burgers and Southwest Salads, but never had them together, but now I want to.

    I've never heard of Bushman's bread so I'll have to Google it.

    My mom was always done with her Christmas shopping around June every year. I was always doing my shopping the last few days before Christmas.

    I have so much kitchen stuff it's ridiculous. I recently replaced most of my plastic storage containers with glass. My biggest problem is I have almost every small kitchen appliance ever invented. It was no problem before I moved but now I live in a house 1/3 the size of what I was.

    I've been more tired than usual lately. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete