Sunday, September 19, 2021

Life: It Goes On - September 19

Happy Sunday! I know it's almost officially fall (and I am starting to get the fall feels) but it feels like summer here this weekend. We ate breakfast on the patio and it was absolutely still and quiet out and I wondered why we haven't done that more often while it's been nice out. 

I got to work from home a couple of days this week. Since the big desk rearranging this summer, The Big Guy is now working in the room I used to work in and I had to move up to what I euphemistically call "my office." The beauty of that is that the table I set up on is positioned between two windows on the second floor and it felt a little bit like I was working in a tree house. I threw open windows, pulled a comfy chair up to the window for the cat to sleep in and thought I was going to really enjoy working from there 2-3 days a week going forward. And then my peer at work put in her notice and once she's gone, I'll have to be in the office full time. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. 

Last Week I:

Listened To:
 I finished The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency and I'm now about half way through Andrea Bartz's We Were Never Here, which is another of the Reese Witherspoon book club's recent picks. 

Watched: Football, the finale of America's Got Talent, some HGTV, and John Legend on Austin City Limits. That show's long been something we watch on Saturday nights if we're home; but, my goodness, have their lineups changed in the past couple of years. 

Read:
 I finished Jodi Picoult's latest, Wish You Were Here, and started Colson Whitehead's new book, Harlem Shuffle. I'm not always good about reading the Author's Notes at the end of books, but reading Picoult's really gave me a greater appreciation why she'd written her story the way she did. I've only just started Whitehead's book and I'm already, once again, so impressed with his storytelling.

Made:
 On Meatless Monday, we had pasta with freshly picked tomatoes and basil. Otherwise, it was bacon week for us. BG picked up some really good slab bacon and croissants so we had BLTs with those and homegrown tomatoes...twice. Another night we had fried potato casseroles with, you guessed it, bacon. Last night we went out to eat and, of course, I ordered a burger with bacon. This week - salads!

Enjoyed: Spending the day with my dad yesterday then capping the day with dinner out with friends. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: I'm picking up the "ingredients" for laundry stripping today so I'll be doing a lot of that this week. Also, I'm already playing catch up on the Fall Cleaning Challenge so I need to finish up the bathrooms and move on to the kitchen. 

Thinking About: Funerals. Yesterday my dad and I went the memorial service of a friend's mom. It's the first time either of us has been to a funeral since my mom's and I think we were both a little nervous about going. But it was the right thing to do, so we went; and we both came away with some very distinct impressions about what we do and do not want for our own services. 

Feeling: Excited - I have tomorrow off for absolutely no reason other than just to take a day off. 

Looking forward to: Book club on Tuesday. 

Question of the week: Have you ever given any thought to your own funeral or memorial service? I was so grateful that my mom had put everything in writing long before it was needed and I've since chosen music and some readings. What music would you choose?

5 comments:

  1. Harlem Shuffle is on my list. I liked Underground Railroad but still haven't read The Nickel Boys.

    My mom passed away in April 2020 and we didn't hold her memorial until May 2021, so I had a year to plan it and I liked what we did. She was very superstitious and wouldn't contribute any thoughts to her own service, other than to give her a "good send-off."

    I liked the first couple of books in Number 1 Detective Agency but only read the first 3 or 4.

    Enjoy your salad days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think that fall is beginning to make her presence known, but summer weather usually hangs in here for another few weeks. At least the nights and early mornings are cooling off some. Your home office space sounds wonderful--your own treehouse like space. :-) I'm sorry to hear though you will likely have to return to the office full-time with the other employee living. I found out this past week that my boss's boss is in favor of having my entire office back in office 100% of the time. My boss was able to talk her out of it. For now. We'll see how it goes.

    Harlem Shuffle sounds really good. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

    I hope you have a wonderful week, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t want a funeral, I want to be taken straight from the hospital or wherever, to the crematorium - no coffin, or viewing or anything like that, and then my ashes given to whoever survives me. If they feel the need for some sort of memorial event they can do whatever they want, a lunch, or bbq or nothing all, and do whatever they want with my ashes, though I sort of like the idea of something permanent, like a wall box with a plaque.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're enjoying Harlem Shuffle. I got on the library hold list very early, so shouldn't have to wait too long for my turn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know when my mom passed two years ago it really made both me and my dad sit and think about things. My parents had their plots paid for but the rest hadn’t been done. With my mom passing suddenly my dad and I were lost in trying to pick out what she would have wanted. Afterwards my dad picked out all of his stuff and I did as well and it’s waiting for when it’s needed. It’s hard thing to think about, isn’t it? My dad wants a service, I don’t. Just a graveside one. It’s just not a topic people like to address but it makes it so much easier for people left behind if you do.

    Your week of eating bacon sounds wonderful. Lol. BLT’s are one of my favorites. Hope you’re having a good week.

    ReplyDelete