Sunday, June 23, 2024

Life: it Goes On - June 23

Happy Sunday! It's hot and dry here (although humid) and the sun is shining. I'd far rather be too warm than too cold - thinking of days like this is what gets me through the winter. Now, if I had to be out in the heat too long, doing something where I wanted to look my best and couldn't because I was sweating too much, I might feel differently right now! But since my weekend consists of inside activities or working in the yard, I'm fine with it.  

I don't know if you've noticed; but I've been reading so fast lately that I've been able to find a common ground between the two books I've read each week. I'm going to try to make sure I let you know what that is, going forward, because they may not always be obvious to you. For example, this week's books both have ties to a friend; she was the one who introduced me to Lian Dolan and who recommended All You Have To Do Is Call.

Last Week I: 


Listened To: I finished All You Have To Do Is Call and started Nancy Horan's The House of Lincoln. I'm struggling with The House of Lincoln - I'm not liking the reading at all and I'm trying to figure out if I just need to pick up the book in print instead. 


Watched: As recommended, we watched the first episode of We Were The Lucky Ones. I don't know if I can continue with it, knowing that things will get so much worse for these characters (a Jewish family in Warsaw in 1939) and that some of them are going to die. 


Read: I finished Kathleen Grissom's The Kitchen House and Lian Dolan's The Marriage Sabbatical. Now reading Tea Obreht's The Morningside. So different from The Tiger's Wife, which is the only other of her books that I've read. 


Made: A pasta dish with caramelized onion, baked garlic and roasted tomatoes. So yummy but so much work! 


Enjoyed: Last night the temperature was absolutely perfect and there was no wind - it was the perfect night to enjoy a gin and tonic on the patio. It was lovely to sit and enjoy the fruits of our labors this spring and summer. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Week I’m:  


Planning: We came to the realization that our old cat can no longer jump on beds; hence, there is no longer a need to keep the doors of our guest rooms closed to prevent her from getting on those beds. The doors being open, though, mean that I can see into those room every time I walk upstairs. So now I've got the urge to make some changes in both of those rooms this week, just some little things that won't take too much time. 


Thinking About: We've removed a small shed in our backyard that frees up some space for a new garden area. I'd like to make it largely perennial but leave some room for some annuals. The question is what to get? I would love to have some hydrangeas, but don't want something that large in the garden. I may just have to go browse the nurseries. 


Feeling: A little frustrated - didn't feel well yesterday and didn't get nearly as much done as I was hoping to get accomplished. Meanwhile, though, Big Guy has been working outside and has accomplished so much so I'm also feeling a little guilty! 


Looking forward to: Book club, which was postponed this past week due to forecasted storms. AND, Mini-me texted me that he and Ms. S will be coming for the week of Thanksgiving this year so I'm already looking forward to that and planning where everyone will stay and where I'll sit so many for dinner!


Question of the week: Do you have any perennials you'd recommend for my new garden? 

No comments:

Post a Comment