Saturday, May 28, 2011

Armchair BEA - Nurturing Relationships

When I started blogging almost two years ago, I did it for a couple of reasons. I thought it looked like a fun, creative way to talk about books with other people who might care. And...**hanging head in shame**...I wanted to have a URL when I left comments on other people's blogs. I didn't want to be "Anonymous" any more, or that blank person picture that pops up next to your comments. Although, to be honest, I could much more easily have just set up a Google account with a picture. But then, I didn't know how to do that then either.

Now if you asked me why I blog, I would still say that the first reason stands. But a completely unexpected thing happened after I started blogging, something that keeps me blogging. I met people. Oh sure, I haven't actually met any of you. But I feel like I have; I consider so many of you friends! I've started to think about who I could actually met if I traveled to different places. If I went to Michigan, I'd travel to the thumb to meet Staci; in New York, I'd want to see Teri and Amy; in Dallas I'd get to meet Trish and Holly. You get the picture. My greatest regret about not getting to go to BEA is that I won't get to meet everyone.

It's not just bloggers I'm wishing I could met; there are publishers and publicists that I've gotten to know and even authors. As someone who grew up loving books, who has always been in awe of the way authors are able to transport me into another world, getting to talk to authors is like getting to talk to an NFL star or one of my favorite musical performers. So when I discovered Jennie Nash's (author of The Last Beach Bungalow and The Threadbare Heart) blog, I was thrilled when she responded to my comments. Soon we were talking back and forth about her teaching, the novel she was working on and even our families. Before I knew it she was sending me the manuscript for The Threadbare Heart. I've written here before of my excited response when the package containing the manuscript arrived and it remains today one of my prized possessions.

**due to computer problems, I've been unable to post anything for the past few days so this post is a bit delayed.

14 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you over these last two years. =O)

    It is wonderful to establish great relationships with authors. I have done that with several authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really hit the nail on the head with the post. The best part of blogging is the relationships! No one "gets" me the same way my blogging buddies do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger has really been acting funky lately, hasn't it? So annoying. This was a wonderful post, Lisa. And let me throw a little praise your way: you have been a steady source of reassurance to me. Your frequent comments let me know that I'm not just talking to myself-someone is actually reading this stuff. Your personality shines through in your blog and in your comments, and it it really appreciated. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a visit by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...the way authors are able to transport me into another world..."

    And what better reason to read a book? I can think of no better way to experience another time, another place, or another person's perspective than reading a book. My only regret is that so many people haven't experienced this pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. This is also what keeps me going. Being able to "meet" such amazing people and to get to know authors and be apart of their books, etc. Thanks for sharing this, Lisa! Your blog posts are ones I always look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa - thanks for this post. Despite the technical difficulties recently, blogging is still very satisfying when we can share ideas about our reading and lifestyles. I appreciate your encouragement and on-going relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post. I too love the people "I meet"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with you. It's all about the relationships to me! And I am so glad to have "met" you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with you. I never expected to "meet," (either online or in person) all the friends I've met since blogging. And I LOVE when they let me know they're here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Book blogging is so fun - all because of the wonderful people we 'meet'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Lisa! I enjoy having a blogger that I actually know :)

    So glad you are enjoying blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I'm totally with you! The best part of blogging has always been the community!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is all so true! I learn something or analyze things differntly thanks to my blogging friends :)

    ReplyDelete