Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Better Late Than Never--I Just Can't Pass Up Armchair BEA!

Two years ago,at about this time, I started to hear a lot about a little thing called Book Expo America (BEA) being held in New York City. Okay, BEA is definitely NOT a "little" thing. It's a huge deal, with hundreds of publishers and publicists showing off their upcoming offers to librarians, book store buyers, reviewers and bloggers alike. It seemed like every blogger I follow was there, posting pictures and writing about the glorious fun they were having. A week or so later, posts with pictures of all of the books they had picked up at BEA began appearing. I was feeling mighty left out. But I had only just decided to write a book blog so I had no idea that people like little 'ole me could even go. Last year, my envy grew by leaps and bounds when I realized that I could, in fact, go to BEA (assuming it were financially and logistically feasible, which it wasn't). To make matters worse, I was missing the first ever Book Bloggers Convention.

This year I was definitely going to go. A friend, who is also a blogger, has moved to New Jersey. I could stay with her and it was only a short train ride to get into the city. Perfect. Except that life interfered. Things in my house are not conducive to me being gone and my friend is going to Italy with her husband this week. Hurray for her! Not so much for me. My life is insane right now and I didn't think I'd be able to join Armchair BEA as a consolation but just today I decided to make the time. Because maybe, just maybe, it will allow me to keep that green-eyed monster at bay.

Day One Assignment for Armchair BEA: Introduce Yourself

Lit and Life kicked off on May 28th, 2009 with a small post that no one read because I hadn't even told anyone I was doing it yet. On May 31st my first book review, The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt. With every post, every day for months afterwards, I drove my husband crazy with my squealing as I learned new things that could be done on my blog. Not long afterward, I began driving him even crazier when I start squeeing every time a new book arrived in my mailbox (I'm sorry to say, it's not a condition I've outgrown).

So who am I? Those of you who follow me regularly already know more about me than you could ever wish to know. For the rest of you, I'm a mother (three of my own and a couple of dozen who I'm proud to say call me Mama Shepp) and a wife (we've been married since dinosaurs roamed the earth). I read (duh), love musicals, enjoy cooking and baking, and am, I must admit, something of a control freak (stop laughing, family). Clearly I'm also a fan of the parentheses! I'm part of a family of readers and you can expect to find period guest reviews from some of them as well as book recommendations from several others. If I could put one book in everyone I meet's hand's, it would be Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale because it's a brilliant, thought-provoking and prescient piece of literature.





13 comments:

  1. Technically, it was possible for me to go to BEA this year, but life does have a way of butting in, doesn't it? It's not easy to leave kids for that long, especially when it's right at the end of the school year. Oh well. One day, right?

    Glad to have met you via Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have participated in Armchair BEA but the blog is so busy as it is. I'm not really all that jealous of those that go to BEA - kind of busy for me. The only thing I'd like is to be able to meet the publishers I deal with.

    I absolutely agree on Atwood's novel. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this was a brilliant post, and very different than the other "get to know you" posts that I have seen over the past couple of days. I also get sort of jealous when all those treasure filled recap post start to show up, but it's good to know that I am not alone! I am going to make it there one day, I just know it, but for now, I will just have to settle for reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a musicals fan, what are your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got the green-eyed monster too. NYC, books - who wouldn't wanna go to BEA?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post!!! The Handmaid's Tale is such a great book...scared me though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say I felt the same last year, seeing all the fun and books people were receiving. However, the thought of shipping or carting those books home is just dreadful! Plus I get nervous with the piles of books I have now. Besides I ather hang out at home in the company of people like you :)

    I read the Handmaid's Tale last year, and completely agree. I tell all my friends to read it because it so moving and makes you think and look around you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Armchair BEA makes you feel a little better and that you have fun this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you decided to join us, Lisa! Love that green eye of jealousy image. Cool! Can you believe I STILL have not read The Handmaid's Tale? I really need to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know you liked musicals! I love how these introductory posts are teaching me little tidbits about bloggers I've "known" for a while as well as introducing me to new people. I hope Armchair BEA is fun for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love learning a little bit more about the writers behind the blogs I follow. I joined Armchair BEA too late for this particular post, but I did have two posts, and will probably do a recap tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You forgot to mention your love for book club, ha! :)

    Would I like the Atwood novel? I tried another title a few years ago and didn't finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete