Monday, May 2, 2011

Mythology Mondays - The Goddess of Healing

You may already have noticed that I haven't been around as much in the past week, not posting, not visiting blogs, not on Twitter. We've had some rather bad news this past week that will probably mean that I will continue to be online much less than I have been. I'll still be reading your blogs as much as possible and working to keep up with review obligations. Beyond that, I don't know how much I'll get to talk to everyone.That being said, this week I've been looking into the gods and goddesses of healing, of which all cultures seem to have one.


For the Greeks, that goddess is Aceso, the daughter of Epione and Asclepius (who, as one site said, was the main healer dude). Her sisters Hygeia and Panaceia.Asclepius was the god of healing and medicine. The rod of Asclepius, a snake-entwined staff is still the symbol of medicine to this day. The Greeks had a number of other gods that also held among their powers healing. Asclepius' Roman counterpart was Vejovis. Angitia was one of the Roman goddess of healing. If you look at both the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses associated in any way with healing, you'll note that most of the names are closely related to current medical terms.
 
In Celtic mythology, the goddess of healing is Brigid. She was also the goddess of fire, poetry and unity. Apparently the Celtics didn't have as many gods; they had to do double duty? She was said to be the daughter of Dagda, the great father-god of Ireland. Dian Cecht was Brigid's male counterpart.

Mesopotamians worshiped Nintinugga, goddess of healing and and Ninazu, god of healing. The Hindu twin gods of medicine were Ashvins. For the Egyptians, it was Bast, whose totem was the cat, and whose image you are probably familiar with.
Once again, I'm surprised, although I don't know why, that there were so many other cultures with such active systems of gods and goddesses. Given what I learned last week about mythology, it's only natural that peoples all of the world would have turned to myths, gods and goddesses to explain the world around them.

15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you've had some bad news - I hope everything's okay! Or will be okay! Sending my good thoughts and wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting stuff, as usual :) I love seeing these type of posts. I am sorry to hear that things are not going well with you right now, and am wondering if there is anything I can do to help you. If there is, please let me know. You will be in my thoughts while you are away, and I hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I'm so sorry about what ever is happening in your life. You are in my thoughts. CYber hugs to you and yours.

    I find mythology fascinating. I'm reading two books on myths and creation myths. They give insight to human nature and I love seeing how other cultures and peoples explained the unexplainable back then.

    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everything is ok Lisa.... I'm sorry to hear that you rec'd troubling news....

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off...I'm worried and hope everything is ok. Thinking and praying for you right now Lisa!!!

    My boys are obsessed with Mythology and really enjoy reading it..me, I'm working on it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are with you, hoping everything is okay. Always wonderful to hear more about mythology, especially mythology that goes beyond just the Greco-Roman. Thanks for a great post and hope all will be well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your news. Many thoughts and prayers for you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, sending hugs and warm thoughts your way. I appreciate your comments, your eclectic and informative posts, and your presence in the blogosphere. Best wishes for healing in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Main healer dude is so much easier to say (and spell) than Asclepius. I think the Greek pantheon needs to be renamed...main healer dude, main sea dude, main thunder dude, main war dudette...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very sorry to hear about bad news visiting you. I hope that you receive good news soon to balance it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just got back from a long weekend away. Sorry to hear that things are not well and will be thinking of you. Your such an encouraging blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa - I'm sorry about whatever it is that is troubling, and I will pray for the best possible outcome. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope whatever it is gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sorry to read that you've rec'd bad news, Lisa ... I see you've run a few posts since this note (does that mean things are improving?). Sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know what the bad news is, whatever it is, here's wishing everything good for you. Just wanted to add another name "Dhanwantari",the god of medicine and life in Indian mythology.

    ReplyDelete