Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday Salon - May 1


Happy May Day! Does anyone out there still deliver May baskets? My kids always did May baskets when they were younger; I kind of miss them! Although I don't miss trying to get all of those baskets to school without having them all spill over.


I was very excited this week to getting an email telling me that I had won a set of books for my local library branch. Thanks to Audry Niffenegger, the American Library Associate, Regal Literary, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, and Abrams Comic Arts for hosting the giveaway. My library will be receiving copies of The Time Traveler's Daughter, Her Fearful Symmetry and The Night Bookmobile. Yea for my library!
And this from Unbridled Books:
Unbridled Books is pleased to announce that it is going back to press for Timothy Schaffert's new novel, THE COFFINS OF LITTLE HOPE. This May release is moving into stores now. Reviews for the title have been superb, including a starred Publishers Weekly and a rave in The New York Times, with more online and major media scheduled to land soon. THE COFFINS OF LITTLE HOPE is also a Midwest Connections Pick for May as well as a May Indie Next Pick.

"We're thrilled for Timothy," said editor and co-publisher Greg Michalson. "We think this is his break-out book."

Schaffert is the author of three other acclaimed novels: THE PHANTOM LIMBS OF THE ROLLOW SISTERS, THE SINGING AND DANCING DAUGHTERS OF GOD, and DEVILS IN THE SUGAR SHOP, all of which are selling briskly nationwide.

Schaffert is the founder of the (downtown) Omaha Lit Fest and teaches at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He has created a playful website featuring the book within his new book at http://rothgutts.com/.


Coming up this week, my review of William Boyd's Ordinary Thunderstorms and the return of Fairy Tale Fridays. I'll be reading Island Beneath The Sea by Isabel Allende; I'm a huge fan so I'm thrilled to be part of the TLC Book Tour for this one. What's on your agenda this week?

14 comments:

  1. I may have to read the coffins book, you have been raving about it for weeks! :) I have the Baghdad novel on my TBR list - are we reading this for book club?

    I loved Her Fearful Symmetry, it's my kind of ghost story. Read it!

    I'm reading Sense and Sensibility - absolutely beautiful writing but the story isn't all that exciting. I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done a May basket since I was in grade school in Oregon! Once we moved to California I never heard about them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy May Day, Lisa! Here's a virtual basket of flowers for you :)

    Congratulations as well for winning those books for your library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never did May baskets... I think that would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for your library too! That's a great idea for a giveaway, and the first of its kind that I've heard about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on winning such wonderful books for your library! And happy May Day! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Island Beneath the Sea, as I've recently finished my first Allende. I, thankfully, have little plan for the upcoming week and I'm excited to see where my follow-my-whims-shelf-browsing gets me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on winning the books for your library! Although I didn't much enjoy the Little Hope book, I'm glad to hear that news because he writes really well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great package of books you won for the library!!

    I remember doing May baskets when I was younger. I always loved it!!

    Looking forward to your reviews this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to win something for your library! You're a hero(ine) now! I have Ordinary Thunderstorms for review as well-just about to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved May Day. When I was in sixth grade we had a Maypole dance that was so much fun. My mom used to make little baskets of flowers and leave them on our neighbors' doors. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy May Day to you too! I think it's awesome that you won the books for your library, and I also think it's great the The Coffins of Little Hope is getting needed attention. I will be reading it later this month, and am really very excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't ever remember anything like May baskets but it sounds like fun. Congrats on all the great books from the library!

    ReplyDelete