Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Salon and Dewey's Readathon Wrap Up

I've been reading and reading these food related books this month and it's starting to look like I'm going to end this month with a pile of food books still to be read - it has not been a good month for reading! I had hoped to really crank out some reading during the readathon but, well, I didn't. Still hoping to get a couple more read this week and then I'm going to focus on reads for challenges the rest of the year. It would be nice to get a couple of those completed!

Once again, despite my attempts to be more realistic, I didn't get nearly as much reading done during Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon as I had hoped to. Got up early to read for an hour before the official start but then I had to work, take Miss H in for her senior yearbook pic, and The Big Guy decided we really did need to go out to dinner. But, if I'm being honest, the thing that really kept me from getting any reading done was college sports. I had to cheer on my Huskers in both football and volleyball, of course, but then there were also Big 10 and Big 12 games that required my attention as well. Oh yeah, and a baseball game--go Cards!


To wrap up the readathon, it's time for the ending meme:

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? That would be Hour 18. I got more reading done after that but I almost called it a night at that point.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I always think mysteries would make the best choices, even though that's never what I've lined up!
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? No - it was great!
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I liked that some of the mini-challenges were shorter and easier to complete quickly without taking too much time away from reading.
  5. How many books did you read? finished one and had started and read all of another one.
  6. What were the names of the books you read? The Kitchen Counter Cooking School and My Life in France
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? I enjoyed both of them.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Have some "canned" cheers prepared. Trish said to do it but I didn't get around to it. I liked leaving personal comments but I could have visited more often if I prepared some cheers.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'll definitely participate again and I'll certainly cheer again. I know how great it is to get those comments!

10 comments:

  1. I agree about mysteries being a great choice! You did a great job. I never even saw hour 18, so you made it a lot longer than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! What's a sports fan to do? I'm counting the days until the first exhibition college basketball games - Syracuse has one Nov 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your cheerleading efforts! Hope you're all caught up on sleep now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read your review for the Kicthen Counter book... my friends have tried a few recipes (two thumbs up).

    I also read a book this weekend (I haven't done this since last winter) - big news for me!

    Mari... still can't leave comments to blogger when signed in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did get a lot done, and I can so relate to having chores to do when I should have been reading! My husband was pretty good about not making me do things, but there were times when I had to forgo reading and do some other things. Luckily, I had an audiobook for those times. It was my first time participating, and I now know how fun it is and can't wait to do it again. Can we have a readathon again next weekend? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember there was one year when A&M was playing Tech and thank goodness the game wasn't televised otherwise I would have been in trouble--it was bad enough having hubby listening to the game (Ags, won!!!). So I understand the distraction.

    Love participating in this with you and so glad you'll do it again. I do have some cheers that I copy and paste but I *try* to also add something personal. in the very least the person's name. I get kind of annoyed when I see someone copying and pasting the same comment on a zillion blogs (but I know it's easier).

    Anyway, Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you gave it a great try. I'm like you...the college football games are too fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read My Life in France after reading Julie and Julie. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It stings a bit when I see the complaint that cheerleaders don't say anything meaningful but sometimes it is really hard to think of anything to respond to "got 26 pages read". I get it but it is also pressure to visit and make the mechanics of filling out the comment form - Golly, I'm whining. sorry.
    Yay that you still follow Big 12 sports - my husband is quite bitter about the husker desertion. (he grew up in Nebraska so I feel he has the right to be upset.) GO CATS!!! You will cheer for my Wildcats this weekend, yes? please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly - I think the only people who actually reach those lofty goals we all set for readathon are those who are skimming books or stretching the truth. :) My goal has become to just have fun and meet new people.

    I understand about the college sports. Although we aren't Husker fans at our house (even though we've lived in Nebraska for more than a third of our married life) the K-State/KU game was hard to ignore so mostly I read during commercials.

    ReplyDelete