Friday, October 21, 2011

Woo Hoo - It's Readathon Time Again!

It's that time again - time for the fall edition of Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon. As usual, I've got my stack of books ready and I'll stop and pick up some snacks after work in the morning but this year I'm going into the event with a much more realistic attitude. I will not read 1000 pages or more, I will not finish 6 books, I will not read for 24 hours. But I will take advantage of the day as an excuse to read as much as I want. To avoid overloading bladers and emails, I'll add updates to this post throughout the readathon.


In my pile of books:
The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (to finish)
My Life In France by Julia Child
The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
Five Quarters of an Orange by Joanne Harris
Instant City by Steve Inskeep (for a TLC Book Tour)
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen


HOUR ONE: Got a jump start to I could read before I go to work for a few hours. Working to finish KITCHEN COUNTER COOKING SCHOOL.

HOUR EIGHT: I've gotten another hour of actual reading done and an hour of cheerleading done (my first time as a cheerleader - boy are there a lot of readers signed up to cheer for!).

HOUR TEN: Finished a book! THE KITCHEN COUNTER COOKING SCHOOL is one that was the perfect followup to FOUR KITCHENS and JULIE AND JULIA - it made a lot of references to things I learned about in the first two books. Next up: MY LIFE IN FRANCE...I think. Should get more reading done once the Husker game is over. I've made a pot of coffee so I'm golden for staying awake for at least 9 or 10 more hours.

HOUR 13: Lost some time when my hubby decided we absolutely had to go out to dinner. But I've picked up MY LIFE IN FRANCE now and am really enjoying it (although I am getting tired of all of the names!).

HOUR 17:  Completely distracted by college sports this evening - my biggest problem every fall readathon! Did get a couple of hours worth of reading in and I'm heading off to do some cheerleading now. Still working on MY LIFE IN FRANCE.

HOURS READ:7
PAGES READ: 224 pages
BOOKS FINISHED: 1
TIME SPENT CHEERING: 2
MINI-CHALLENGES: 1

25 comments:

  1. The Child and Harris books are the ones I'd like to hear your views! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the readathon! I'll be up bright and early because I'm hosting one of the first mini challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the realistic attitude. That's my approach too.. just to read all day, or as much as you can, and not stress about how much, and how many, etc. I think I'll be good to get just one read tomorrow. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of the support beverages beside your reading stack! Hope you have a great time reading today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Lisa. Youll breeze through School of Essential Ingredients. It's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot woot woot!! And congrats on winning your first prize--did you see on the readathon website?

    Go Lisa, go go go Lisa! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great book selections! I really enjoyed My Life in France, and several others are on my TBR. I hope you have a wonderful readathon, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Go, reader, go* I am here to cheer you on!!!! Don't forget to take a small break so you can keep on reading reading reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun today! Pace yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I give you the loudest cheer ever, would you let me have the Kitchen Counter Cooking School? LOL Just kidding (though I really wouldn't mind if you act on that. Haha).

    Good luck, Lisa! And you're right. Read-a-thons are a great excuse to read as much as any reader can. :)

    If you need a sounding board on twitter, just send a tweet: @travelingreadr. I'll still be on for an hour or so.

    #cheergolden

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're doing great! Hope you're having fun! :))

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're doing great :)
    Thanks for leaving a comment, loved that!
    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the cheer! Keep reading!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your list of books made me hungry!! Yay on finishing a book-you're doing great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a little cooking/food theme running through your readathon selections today! Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. CHEERS!!!! Have a fabulous readathon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't gotten to any challenges either! LOVE the food-theme going on in your reading list (kinda makes me hungry). Keep reading and having fun!

    Rah! Rah! Shish! Boom! Bah! Reading books will take you far!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh, I read the Five Quarters of the Orange a few years ago and loved it and can't wait to read My Life in France! Hope you are enjoying your readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someone else was reading My Life in France as well. I just finished Maman's Homesick Pie--memoir about a Persian who studied culinary arts at Cordon Bleu under same instructor as Julia Child. Anywhoooo...hope you had a great dinner with the hubby. A break is sometimes nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hope the tiredness haven't catch you! Enjoy your reading and good luck in the second half! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are VERY impressive! I finished the Kitchen House and liked it very much. (Yes, I know, not the same book you are reading.) Watching your progress with awe...

    ReplyDelete
  22. My brother kept texting me the score of the OU game he was at. I don't even like football and yet it still posed a distraction for me.

    I hope you had a great time with the read-a-thon! Thanks for cheering me on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations!! Hope you had lots of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete