Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday Salon - November 6

November, already? How did that happen while I wasn't looking? It's been such an unusual and busy year for me and my reading time has really taken a hit. Heading into the holiday season, I'm going to have to accept that it's not going to get any better the rest of the year. That being said, I'm tossing in the towel on all challenges. I'm going to try to read some of the books that I'd planned for them but I'm giving myself permission to "fail" without guilt.


Now for that promised picture from last month's Omaha Bookworms meeting. Mary Helen Stefaniak, author of The Cailiffs of Baghdad, GA is third from the left. What fun we had talking with Mary Helen about her books, her family and even baseball. Hmm, now that we've seen how great it is to have an author in our midst, I wonder how Timothy Schaffert (also from Omaha) would feel about joining us to talk about The Little Coffins of Hope?

Added to my wish list this week: Catherine The Great by Robert K. Massie, Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman, The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman, The Wandering Falcon by Ahmad Jamil, The Boy In The Suitcase by Lena Kaaberol and Agnete Friis, and James Madison by Richard Brookhiser. It's probably bad to add this many books at a time given how little I've been reading lately!

Fans of Sarah Jio's, The Violets of March, will be happy to know that she's got a new book, The Bungalow, coming out this December. Here's a little teaser for you:



 I'm finishing Vivienne Schiffer's Camp Nine for a TLC Book Tour this week. Then I'm back to reading The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin, the Omaha Bookworms December selection. What are you reading this week? What books did you add to your wish list?

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely looking group of readers! I would love it if Timothy Schaffert would join you guys at some point! I don't know how my reading will fare over the holidays, but I hope that things get a little better! Have a great reading week over there, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read the Robert Massie book too. I quit a bunch of challenges earlier this year because it just wasn't going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reading was pretty good in September and not bad for October. I still won't hit my usual 75 or so for the year. Maybe. I should hit 60 I hope.

    I just finished Killer Angels and am a few pages into Visit from the Goon Squad. I have to read The Paris Wife for my book club and that is on Nov 17.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great photos of your book club, everyone looks so friendly! It's awesome that Mary Helen Stefaniak joined your group in person to discuss her book The Cailiffs of Baghdad, GA. It would be great if you were able to get other authors to come to you discussions...i hope you can get Timothy Schaffert to come, he's local to you isn't he?

    Great books on your wish list and I have Sarah Jio's The Violets of March on my wish list too. It;s wonderful she has another bok coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture!! I am thinking of traveling to East Lansing to see a few authors in the next month. Just hoping that the weather will cooperate with me. I'm throwing in the towel on the challenges too. Heck, I don't even think I'm going to bother to list them this year in my final end-of-the-year roundup. I'm constantly adding to my list!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of the few that hated The Violets of march, so I won't be reading her next book. You've reminded me I need to get back to Catherine the Great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utterly jealous of your book club! Mine's great but we've never had an author join us. What a coup!

    I've yet to read Violets of March - still languishing in my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen the trailer for a book before. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I picked up The Bungalow from Net Galley. I hope to start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. November is my favorite month (could be because I was born in November!). October was so crazy-busy at school that I pretty much dropped out of the blogosphere. It's nice to know the rest of you kept reading and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to your November reviews! The only book on my wishlist at the moment is P.D.James' latest, Death Comes to Pemberley.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you guys had a good time with the author - and hopefully everyone read the book!

    I downloaded a copy of Jio's new novel onto my Nook and hope to read it soon.

    Will November be a little slower for you? I hope life does slow so you can really enjoy the holiday's, H's senior year, good health and more.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete