Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sunday Salon - November 27

For those of you who got to enjoy a long weekend, I hope you've enjoyed it. For those of you who had to work so that my family and I could shop for bargains (and, let's be honest, for the great fun we have when we all go off together to fight the crowds), thank you!

In Nebraska you never know what kind of weather to expect for Thanksgiving. There can be snow on the ground a bitter cold. That makes knowing how to dress for Black Friday a bit bothersome; you need a coat, hat and gloves outside but you certainly don't want them in the stores. Plus it puts a major damper on two of my family's annual Thanksgiving traditions. The field goal kicking competition never lasts as long and fewer of us are willing to go along just to be spectators. Also, the turkey trot (a treasure hunt for the grandchildren) must be done entirely inside.

But sometimes we get lucky and have one of those glorious fall days where there are enough spectators at the field goal competition to actually do the wave! One of my favorite Thanksgiving memories is of just such a day when my husband and I hosted Thanksgiving. All four of my grandparents were still with us and my grandfathers sat out on my deck playing cards. As much as I love my family in its current form, I never get through Thanksgiving without missing my grandparents!

We got lucky again this year and had a marvelous day which meant that it was nice enough day to also work in a lesson on Australian rules football. We were blessed to have with us this year a dear friend from Australia and her family who gamely participated in all of our American and family customs, including the turkey trot and field goal kicking. Wisely, they did pass on Black Friday shopping!


My uncle sent me this link to an article in the Chicago Tribune about why some of us have such a hard time giving up our physical books. I'm not necessarily one for the moldy smell (my allergies aren't wild about it for one thing) but I do feel my book in my hands. Although, I must admit that I'm thinking I may need a Nook Tablet so that I never have to worry about finding myself without a book as I was for two hours the other day when the locks on my work building malfunctioned and I had to sit in my car and advise employees as they arrived to go home until it was fixed. Such a waste of precious reading time!

12 comments:

  1. Completely understand what you mean about always missing the grandparents on Thanksgiving. I'm the same way. What I wouldn't do for another helping of my grandfather's mashed potatoes (just regular ol' mashed potatoes, but somehow, he made them special). Glad you had a good Thanksgiving (and yes, a Nook Tablet or some such e-reader is a necessity. I would have gone nuts not having something to read for that long of a time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article from the Trib! I have to agree. I really really need to get used to using an ereader though because so many books are starting to come out only in that way. And of course it's great for travel. But it makes me sad! By the way, after a couple of incidents like you just had, we always keep a couple of books in the car for emergencies - you know, "anecdote" type books that you can pick up and read parts of any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I don't plan ahead and find myself without a book too. That really makes me mad, so I can understand that it would make you mad too. I don't participate in Black Friday shopping, as it's just too crazy in this city to be out and about. I did go out for coffee and groceries and almost got mowed down, so I decided that it was better to stay in! Glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It sounds like it was lovely, except for missing your grammy and grampy :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!! I'm so happy you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black Friday shopping sounds like something to be avoided if at all possible! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving with your Australian friends sharing your family customs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of a turkey trot! I'm glad that you and your family had a beautiful Thanksgiving. Because we've always lived far from my Grandparents I didn't spend many holidays with them (at least not since I was little), but I'm glad that right now I live close enough to my parents for Elle to be around them.

    Books. I was just mentioning yesterday that I'm having such a hard time parting with my paperbooks for fear of a day when books are not being widely printed anymore. Maybe not anytime soon, but one day. But yes--a nook would make it convenient to always have a book in hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Nook was a great investment for me. The only problem I have is that it is too easy to get new books (like, instantaneously!). But it is perfect for those times when you want to have more than one book with you, but don't want to lug a heavy bag. And since my bookcases are already overflowing, I don't need any more physical books, although I do sometimes buy them.

    Glad you and your family had such a nice Thanksgiving-you sound like a fun family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would've made me crazy to be stuck in my car for 2 hours and not have anything to read!! Loved reading about your Thanksgiving Day!! I miss my Grandparents big time around the holidays too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a nice holiday and weekend Lisa. I still miss my parents at the holidays and they have been gone for 20+ years. Holidays are hard when loved ones are no longer with us.

    I love my Kindle, and never thought I'd say I prefer reading on it now.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my e-reader but it doesn't replace actual books. It just enhances the reading experience.

    We had beautiful weather this past weekend. It was between 65-70 but the trees are a glorious orange which has NOT happened in years. I think the cold spell, followed by a warm spell did something to them. Needless to say, it really felt like fall (for once!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your traditions. Thanksgiving with family is a great time. We weren't quite as lucky in the weather department - the wind kept older family members in the house and messed up our plans for hanging Christmas lights while we had many to hands to help.

    Oh well, still had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often bring a book with me in case I find myself in a situation requiring waiting, but sometimes it seems like I never have one when I *really* need one! like taking an umbrella when it might rain...

    ReplyDelete