Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Salon - October 14



Despite an epic failure to get much reading done during Dewey's 24-Hour Read-A-Thon, I did stay up until the wee hours finishing a book and cheering on the other participants so I'm getting a late start on Sunday.  

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Sarah Jarosz on Pandora. I first discovered her on Austin City Limits. Here she is performing Tom Waits' "Come On Up To The House" but she writes marvelous things herself.



Watching: "Shadowlands," the 1993 movie about the relationship between C.S. Lewis and American poet Joy Gresham starring Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. It's directed by Sir Richard Attenborough who is so well known for directing movies on a grand scale but this is a lovely movie on a very human scale.

Cooking: I tried a new pumpkin cake recipe to take to a dinner party last night. I'd found the cinnamon cream cheese frosting a couple of weeks ago but was disappointed with the cake recipe I tried previously. The recipe I tried last night was delicious and is definitely a keeper.

Making: A trip to the bookstore to pick up Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus., which the Omaha Bookworms are reading for October. I definitely should have picked it up before the readathon - it looks like I'll be spending a lot of today reading as well!

Grateful for: a job and a manager which allowed me to rearrange my schedule spur of the moment this week. I'm lucky to have found a place where they understand that family comes first and foremost.

Happy about: my mom coming through surgery so well on Friday.

Looking forward to: an anniversary trip The Big Guy and I are taking to celebrate our 30th anniversary. It's been several years since we've gone off on our own. We're planning on some shopping, some wonderful food, a couple of fine museums and time at one of my favorite places. I'm going to have to see if I can find an audio book for the trip that we will both enjoy.

What are you reading this week? Anything you're looking forward to coming up?

8 comments:

  1. Good news about your mom...yay! And your anniversary trip sounds like fun. I could never get HB to do anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading NIght Train to Lisbon this week by Pascal Mercier. I was sad not to have done a lot more cheerleading during the readathon. While I signed up only as a reader, I still would've loved to have gone around and cheered. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I participate in the read-a-thon a few years ago, but found it to be too too much for me. Happy anniversary soon - a big milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that your mom is well, and made it out of surgery fine! That's great news! I think you will like The Night Circus. It's an odd book, but very ensnaring once you've dipped a toe in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your anniversary trip sounds like fun. We're coming up on our 24th next month. We're going to TX for Thanksgiving, so that's our trip. :) Next year, we plan to go to Napa for our 25th. I'm really looking forward to that one!

    I remember when Shadowlands came out and I've always meant to watch it. Off to add it to my Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your trip! 30 years!

    We record Austin City Limits every Sunday. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that your mom came through the surgery wonderfully!! I will be interested in your thoughts on the Night Circus!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a nice getaway. I just came back from West Virginia. Haven't been away in three years.
    It was nice to get out and visit somewhere new.

    ReplyDelete