Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Where In The World Are You Reading? Cafe Style


The October theme for "Where In The World Are You Reading" is cafes or coffeeshops or teahouses or bars? or anywhere you hangout to grab a bite to eat or a drink and do some reading. 

 

I don't read much in cafes or coffee shops - mostly because I don't spend much time in them. I'm the person in the drive-thru lane getting that coffee or sandwich to go. One season Miss H's volleyball team practiced at a school too far from home to go home while she practiced but just close enough to a Starbucks to allow me an hour of reading. It was a fine way to fill that time but a Starbucks is a Starbucks is a Starbucks. Aroma's Coffee House, on the other hand, is a great place to grab a tasty beverage and enjoy some time with a book.


Located in Omaha's historic Old Market district, Aroma's makes great use of the inherent ambiance of being in an old building but for me the best part is sitting out front on a beautiful fall day. I must admit that as great as it is to sit and read out front, it can be a bit distracting. People watching in the Old Market is almost as entertaining as the food, shopping and music are. This weekend is the Omaha Lit Fest - if I were going to be able to go, I'd definitely be heading over to spend a bit of Saturday out front of Aroma's with one of my new books.

10 comments:

  1. I don't actually spend much time reading in cafes either. In restaurants though, my husband and I both take books so we can read until the order comes (lest we actually have to talk to each other - ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aroma's sounds like such a great place to hang out and read. Of course, I'd probably want to sit out front to people watch, so I wouldn't get much reading done either ;) I don't really have a place nearby where I could go and read - the local starbucks isn't exactly my favorite place to be and other than that we don't really have a coffeehouse. But I do remember loving the conservatory I used to go to when I was in grad school in England. It was part of the cathedral and was pretty much a place for the older folks to have tea and scones. I loved it! It was nice and quiet, had some beautiful stained glass windows and the best tea and scones in town. It was the perfect place to read and just take a breath. I definitely love those types of places, but they seem to be few and far in between. Great post! Made me think of a good time from my past :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time reading in public, because there is just too much distraction. I am a people watcher, you see, and unless it's very quiet and dead inside, you probably won't catch me reading in a coffee house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic name for a coffee house, and from the outside it looks very nice. I agree that it's difficult to read outside, people passing right in front of you and the noise is hard to filter out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool name, Aroma!! It looks like a place that I would want to spend time sitting in, drinking coffee, and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've been here! Well, maybe not the coffee shop, but the Old Market district. I was really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooooh, I love it! And I adore the name. I don't do a lot of reading in cafes either for the same reasons the others mentioned--too loud. I'm WAY too easily distracted. Yesterday I did head to Saxby's before bookclub but it was so windy and chilly outside that I finally gave up and read in my car instead.

    Omaha Lit Fest?! Fun!! The Texas Book Fest in Austin is this weekend and I'm a little sad I won't be attending. I don't think Dallas has anything even remotely literary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to go to coffee houses to get out of the house and read. But I also fall victim to the people watching bug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a very relaxing place to sip coffee and read. Or people watch! I do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so much like The Mill in Lincoln's Haymarket! Next time I'm in Omaha, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete