Thursday, September 29, 2016

Classics Club Spin


The Classics Club Spin is something members have been using as an incentive for a long time to get to through the 50 classic books they put on their lists. I haven't participated before, partly because it didn't always work for me timing wise and partly because I didn't want the spin to land on a book I wasn't ready to read. Well, time is ticking on my five year mark and I've only read 25 classics so far. Clearly time to get that kick in the butt.

Here are the rules for this spin:

Go to your blog.
Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
The challenge is to read that book by December 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)

Yeah, I'm not going to try to challenge myself because, frankly, at this point just getting one of these baby's knocked off seems to be a challenge. As an exception to that statement, however, I am going to lump all of my short story choices and all of my plays as one choice for each category since they are all so short.

1. Hamlet, A Doll's House, The Importance of Being Ernest
2. Rocking Horse Winner, The House of Usher, The Jumping Frog of Calavaras County
3. This Side of Paradise
4. The Railway Children
5. Frenchman's Creek
6. Candide
7. Treasure Island
8. Oliver Twist
9. Cranford
10. Moll Flanders
11. Frankenstein
12. Brideshead Revisited
13. Lady Chatterley's Lover
14. The Metamorphosis
15. My Antonia
16. Where The Redfern Grows
17. Sense and Sensibility
18. Miss Bishop
19. Daisy Miller
20. The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling

You may notice that I haven't included any of the chunksters I have on my list. I want to make sure I leave myself some time for R.I.P. and Fall Feasting reading and I'm planning on reading Little Dorrit (finally!) in December.

I'm ready for that spin on Monday!

3 comments:

  1. My favorites from your list: Cranford, My Antonia, Sense and Sensibility, and Daisy Miller. Good luck on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great books on the list--many that I have read, I would like to reread! Hope you get a good number!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like JoAnn, I'm cheering for Cranford and Antonia. But wr could buddy-read if 6 hits!

    ReplyDelete