Monday, May 4, 2020

Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie

Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie
Read by Amy McFadden
Published February 2020 by St. Martin's Publishing Group
Source: audiobook checked out from my local library

Publisher's Summary:
Agnes Murphy Nash is in big trouble. When she returns home one evening only to find the locks changed on the gates of their mansion, the security guard breaks the news: her famous producer husband has filed for divorce. And he’s not going to play fair. Trevor Nash wants custody of their tween daughter, Pep, but only for the sake of appearances. And Agnes can’t let him win.

With the help of her ex-con sister, a Hollywood psychic, a ballsy female lawyer, and a host of friends and “frenemies,” Agnes realizes that when he changes the locks, she needs to change the rules. But a crisis can lead to opportunity, and for Agnes, this gigantic betrayal brings her to a crossroads that will have her asking herself what she really wants out of life, who she really wants to be, and which man she really lovesl


My Thoughts:
Guys, I've been on the struggle bus with my reading. Even books I've loved have been work to get through; I just can't stay focused. I knew I needed something light and fun. I read and enjoyed Levangie's The Starter Wife (my review) and when I saw this available, I jumped all over it, knowing it would be just the right thing.

Levangie knows how to have fun with her characters - sure, there are caricatures aplenty but it's all done tongue-in-cheek. The woman who is convinced to go to rehab because she thinks it'll be a great break from her regular life, the woman who starts a Go Fund Me because she's so broke she has to drive a brown BMW, the producer who can't fall asleep without a sleeping companion, the older father who jumps from one girlfriend he meets online to the next, and the sister with the shady morals who might just turn out to be the person Agnes most needs - there's not a lot of depth but that's exactly what makes the book fun.

Nothing is going Agnes' way and it's not all her fault (although, a far amount of it is and you can't quite believe she doesn't see somethings coming). But you know everything will work out in the end, but Levangie keeps you wondering how until the very end. The way Levangie wraps things up keeps up the fun factor.

My favorite part of the book - Amy McFadden's reading. She does a terrific job of voicing multiple characters, including men, and brings just the right breezy feel to the book. You might enjoy this one in print but I'd really recommend you listen to it instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment