Sunday, November 15, 2020

Life: It Goes On - November 15

Happy Sunday! The sun is shining and it's supposed to be warmer today than yesterday so we're hoping to get some outdoor time in with friends this afternoon. I wish I could say that it still looked as beautiful outside as this picture but we have almost no leaves left clinging to trees and the wind is working to take care of the rest. 

We're entering the season of brown, once of the reasons I dislike the winter months. Perhaps that's why I'm starting to think about pulling out the Christmas things ahead of Thanksgiving, something I never do. Perhaps I'm just trying to push time along; the faster we get through these next few months, the better. I might start planning my gardens come January!
Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I'm racing through Tana French's The Searcher, which I'm enjoying a lot because the reader, Roger Clark, is so good. 

Watched: We started watching The Queen's Gambit (boy, is that not what I was expecting!), I watched some Grace and Frankie (I'm sad to say that I think that is on its last season; they seem to be running out of material), and, of course, football. 

Read: Guys, I am struggling here. I'm reading, but I'm having to force myself to do it because I have books that are due back at the library, scheduled for a review, or it's book club meeting time. I really thought that after the election my brain would be able to focus better. The good thing is that I know this will pass; there will come a time when I find a book I can't put down and it will pull me back in. 

Made: Yesterday I made a cream of green bean soup. The Big Guy was telling Miss H about it last night, as though she might be jealous she missed it. Evidently he'd forgotten two things: she really doesn't like soups and she hates green beans. It's definitely not a soup everyone would like but we'll probably make it again. I'd post a picture but I think you can all imagine what cream of green bean soup looks like and know that it's not a soup you look at and think, "that looks delicious!"

Enjoyed: Calls with all of my out-of-town kids. I love that Miss H wanted to spend her Saturday night Facetiming with her parents. Even if I am fully aware that the only reason that she's home to do that is because of CoVid and I really wish that she were able to go out and do the kinds of things 25-year-olds young women should be doing. 

This Week I’m: 

Planning: On finishing my office this week. A several days migraine early this week meant I didn't get the painting done and there's still more organizing to be done. It's finally making me happy to be in that room. 

Thinking About: How sad I am that we won't be able to enjoy dinners around the dining room table for months yet. I finished up the chairs I was working on and I love them around the table. I so wish we could have people in all of those chairs, enjoying great food and even better company. 

Feeling:
Pleased that my parents enjoyed their early Christmas presents. Their children all went together to make a donation to the Husker athletic program that allowed my mom and dad to be cutouts at all of the home games. Did they need it? No. Is it useful? No. But it was so fun to see them "at the game" yesterday!

Looking forward to: Book club this week, even if we have to do a Zoom meeting. Guess I should probably start the book, right?

Question of the week: There may only be four of us at my parents this year for Thanksgiving dinner and we may be sitting at two different tables in two different rooms. It's going to be weird and quiet and sad. How is your family planning to celebrate this year?

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, this COVID has really changed life for us all and not for the better. I usually host Thanksgiving for the adult kids and grandkids but this year we will all be separate. One of my 6 year-old granddaughters (sons daughter) had a COVID positive test on Thursday so school is closed til the end of November and my son, DIL and granddaughter must get tested and quarantine as will other families in the class:(

    I'm having a tougher time concentrating so right now reading The Christmas Table which is a nice change and has lots of old recipes which I might like to try as well. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always keep Thanksgiving small now. We used to have closed to 22 people but years ago that stopped when my kids asked if we could just stay in PJs all day long and eat like kings. At this moment in time, the boy was just hired for a new job. He was being offered that museum job and then they closed down again so he wasn't officially hired. He scrambled and found another job, Starbucks but I am almost certain the Thanksgiving holiday will be an issue for him.

    Still, I am preparing my grocery list and whether we eat on Thanksgiving or the day after we will try to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The holidays this year are going to be very challenging. Not too different from the past 8 months - which makes for some depressing days. Still, I look forward to other fun things about the season - lounging in cozy socks, watching holiday movies, lights.

    I found that I couldn't read after the election either - the intensity of the previous week left a huge hangover. Eventually I had to pick a light, fun, fast read just to get myself want to read.

    ReplyDelete