Sunday, February 13, 2022

Life: It Goes On - February 13

Happy Sunday! Everyone getting ready to party for the Super Bowl? Big Guy has gone off to a party in Lincoln to see old friends; I always opt out of going and enjoy the evening to myself. Are you all amping up for Valentine's Day? I've been seeing a lot of people getting Valentine's boxes ready for there kids and I'm sort of glad I'm not playing that game any more - you folks with young kids have really upped the game on those boxes! We've long ago given up going out on that day but like to do a nice candlelit dinner, pull out the china and crystal, and put away our phones. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I started Emma Straub's The Vacationers and I'm enjoying it; think it would give book clubs a lot to talk about. I've also been listening to a lot of what Spotify calls "Chill Mix" and "Timeless Love Songs." 

Watched: Almost exclusively the Olympics, especially my beloved curling. 

Read: I finished Thrity Umrigar's latest, Honor, and now I'm reading Jamie Ford's latest, The Many Daughters of Afong Moy

Made: We adapted a Jamie Oliver recipe for pasta with smoked salmon and asparagus one night, another night we paired chicken thighs with avocado and mushrooms over brown rice, and another night we figured out how to eat delicious grilled cheese sandwiches while watching calories. Counting calories is really making us think about what we eat, how much we eat, and what we are willing to give up. If I'm eating a grilled cheese, I want what I like, so I just ate less; other things I'm willing to go with the lower calorie versions. 

Enjoyed: Time with my sister, who is at my dad's this weekend. We went in Friday evening and again yesterday afternoon/evening and enjoyed a couple of delicious meals she prepared. Definitely going to get Polish sausage and sauerkraut back into the rotation at home!

This Week I’m:  

Planning:
On getting a sofa ordered this week. We spent two hours looking today and will hit up another place tomorrow. Did you realize it is taking a minimum of 3 months to get a custom sofa right now? One we liked would have taken up to 12 months. This is all made even more difficult by the fact that Big Guy and I do not want at all the same thing in a sofa. I'll win the battle, of course; but it will probably mean he's going to get the recliner I hate. 

Thinking About: Changes that are happening at my office as some people are retiring and others have moved on to other jobs. We had a really good synergy and now my boss is going to be making some changes in job duties so I'm a little nervous about what that will mean for me. 

Feeling: Friday was the one year anniversary of my mom's death. I thought I was doing well with that coming up but the day of hit me hard. Then last night my sister and I were sorting through some things and just as we were wondering what our mom would make of it, we found a cardinal. If you don't know, a cardinal is a symbol of a message from an angel. I needed that reminder that she is still with me every step of my life. 

Looking forward to: Miss H is coming to town this weekend and we will celebrate her birthday. 

Question of the week: Super Bowl parties are popular for a lot of reasons. Which is your favorite: the game, the commercials, or the food? 

2 comments:

  1. I felt bad because my mom went all out for Valentine's Day, bringing us presents and homemade cake pops. She was lucky I got her a card. We aren't big on Valentine's day, although I usually do cards and a little gift for my daughter. This year she's getting a book. On Saturday some of the girls brought Valentine's Day cards or goodie bags for the other kids--and I wondered how do they have time for that?! Oh well, it's just not a priority for me.

    I hope you are enjoying The Many Daughters of Afong Moy. I really want to read that one.

    I hope Miss H has a nice birthday celebration. Sending hugs to you. First year anniversaries of deaths can be so hard.

    I hope you enjoyed your day and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is finally out of the Valentine box stage! But for the last couple of years in elementary school he decorated them all on his own. I knew early I couldn't play that go-crazy for all the holidays-game! lol.

    Big hugs during this time. I'm so glad you were able to feel comfort with your sister. I didn't know about the cardinal symbol.

    I hope things work out at work!

    Dh and I bought a new bed last month but it won't be here until mid-April. So crazy how long it's taking to get everything.

    Glad Miss H is coming and you'll be able to celebrate her birthday. Yay!

    I'm a foodie when it comes to the Super Bowl. It's an excuse to make wings, pigs in a blanket, nachos, and have a bunch of other yummy finger foods. The game is incidental. I did like the half-time show, though!

    ReplyDelete