Sunday, February 27, 2022

Life: It Goes On - February 27

Happy Sunday! In Omaha we've just survived a very cold week but once again got almost no snow out of the forecasted snowfalls. The Big Guy even went out last Sunday and watered the lawn, bushes and trees because it's been so dry. I'm getting worried that it's going to impact my gardens this spring and you know that won't make this girl happy. I'm the person, after all, who already has a cart full of things I want to get for the patio this year - new seat cushions, a couple of rugs, some lighting. Of course, I'm also the person who has carts full of stuff in a lot of stores that will never get purchased. Anyone else do that? 

Last Week I: 

Listened To: I finished Eight Hundred Grapes (a disappointment) and I'm now racing to finish Things Fall Apart (much better, although I may end up finishing it on my Nook). 

Watched:
 Last night we went, finally, to see Steven Spielberg's adaptation of West Side Story with friends. Other than being about 30 minutes too long (although my friend and I agreed that we couldn't think of a lot they could cut), it is a wonderful adaptation. What has added time to the movie is a lot more backstory - we see why Tony has decided to drop out of gang life, we see more of the interaction between the characters. If you know, and love the music, you'll be happy to know that very little has been changed in how most of it has been done. The sets, costumes, and new choreography are terrific. Some of the settings of the songs have been changed but they work. The actors are wonderful and have marvelous voices. It will be out on Disney+ this week and I'll be watching it again. 

Read: I'll be finishing up Jamie Ford's latest, The Many Daughters of Afong, and then I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. I have a lot of books on Netgalley I need to get to but several library books and a book for review sitting on my coffee table as well. 

Made: I made a yummy white chicken chili that we had for supper a couple of nights, several salads (despite the temps being in single digits and warm comfort food being called for - not sure what we were thinking) and today I'm making a smoked salmon pasta to take to my dad's. 

Enjoyed: Happy hour with friends Friday that ended with birthday cake (hers) and decaf coffee (because we're getting old and had all the drinks we needed) at their house. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: It's time to get the taxes done - ugh. 

Thinking About: Hey! I almost forgot to tell you that the great sofa search finally came to an end Monday! So I'm thinking about that new sofa and how I'll change things up in my family once it arrives. Whenever that finally is. Sometime in late June/early July, which is sooner than we could get one other places right now. 

Feeling:
Happy for my Alaska kiddos, who have settled into life up north marvelously and are having fun absorbing all things Alaska. Yesterday we got pics of them at the start of the Iditarod (it's been super snowy up there all winter but it looks like they had to put snow on the street for the start of the race!). 

Looking forward to: Celebrating the birthdays of Miss H and Ms. S this week (even if it's remotely) and, also virtually, An Evening With Colson Whitehead. 

Question of the week: Looking for your best healthier adaptations of comfort food. What have you got for me to try? 

1 comment:

  1. We haven't seen West Side Story but saw Death on the Nile, which we liked for the views of the Nile and the pyramids, temples. Our weather is not only cold, but there is snow on the ground. Spring doesn't seem too near, as yet. Have a happy reading week.

    ReplyDelete