Sunday, February 12, 2023

Life: It Goes On - February 12

Happy Sunday and happy Super Bowl Sunday! Do you all have big plans for watching the game? If you do, are you there for the game, the ads, or the half time show? I'll be honest, those half time shows haven't held much interest for me for quite a while (no criticism of the talent but not the music I listen to) and I've been pretty disappointed in the ads the past few years. But I am 100% there for the game, especially since it's the last football I'll be watching until August. 

The Big Guy is headed off to a friend's party but I've no interest in spending a few hours with people I don't really know and will only see once a year so I watch at home alone. Which sounds sad and pathetic but allows me to watch and also get the usual Sunday night things-that-need-to-be-done-before-the-work-week-starts done.

Last Week I: 

Listened To: Geraldine Brooks' latest, Horse. Brooks has a way of finding topics to write about that I've never considered and then weaving a story around them that makes you think about ethics and morals and humanity. 

Watched:
 More of Emily In Paris. I've been loving these light, romantic shows lately. I'm well into the third season and wondered if you have any recommendations of something similar that I can watch when I'm caught up with this one. I could go back to Bridgerton but I'm not sure I want to (unless one of you suggests to me that I'll really enjoy Season 2). 

Read:
 I've been trying to read The Untethered Soul, by Michael A. Singer, as recommended by Glennon Doyle. But the Midwest pragmatist in me is struggling. It feels like so much New Age-ism without any really guidance was to how to get where Singer says we need to be. I'm not sure I'll be finishing it. I've also just started Lawn Boy, by Jonathan Evison, as recommended to me by my aunt. 

Made: Lasagna (looking forward to having leftovers of that again today!) and tapioca pudding. I'm almost certain I've had tapioca in my cupboard before but I can't, for the life of me, remember making it. I will definitely be making it again and can't wait to try to variations. 

Enjoyed: The touring production of Aaron Sorkin's adaptation of To Kill A Mockingbird, starring Richard Thomas. We really enjoyed it. The acting was really great and the sets worked wonderfully. 

It lacks the slow pace of the book and the movie adaptation; what was Scout's narration alone in the book is spread amongst the three children (who are all played by adults because they have to be due to the length of the tour); and the black characters are given more voice. While I appreciated that last, it definitely felt more of this time than of the time in which the book was set. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: I'm making tremendous progress on cleaning up my office (who would have thought such a small room could hold so much?!) and will finish cleaning it out this week. Hard to believe that next week starts 40 Bags In 40 Days. I'm determined that the majority of that will be spent working on our basement, although I'll also be making a pass through any space I haven't gotten finished yet this year. 

Thinking About: My dad and I went to a presentation for a new senior living facility that's being built nearby and he put down a deposit to hold a spot there. Yes, I know he just moved in October; but things where he's at have not been what he was promised and I'm not sure I feel that he's entirely safe there. So it's time to look at a change, which means thinking about what gets moved with him this next time. 

Feeling: I had a couple of terrible nights of sleep this week, which might actually have been made worse by having worn my watch so that I know exactly how little sleep I got. But the past two nights have been much better and I'm feeling vastly more energetic today. So I should probably get off the computer and get moving, right? 

Looking forward to: The calendar for this week is entirely blank, which you know I always enjoy! Work is really getting busy so I'm going to very much appreciate being able to just come home and relax in the evenings. 

Question of the week: Eagles or Chiefs? 

1 comment:

  1. I only watch the Super Bowl commercials. I love the Clydesdale horses and am sad that they only show up for a few seconds. I do love the T-Mobile Super Bowl Commercial with John Travolta.

    I hope your dad gets moved into the new place soon and loves it there!

    ReplyDelete