Sunday, December 17, 2023

Life: It Goes On - December 17


Happy Sunday and happy last day before Christmas weekend! Do you all still have as much to get done as I do? Every year I think I'll be more prepared and every year I'm wrong. Still need to get cards mailed, still need to wrap all of the presents, still need to make the Christmas goodies. But I'm trying to focus on the positive. The cards are in my house, ready to for envelopes to be addressed; the gifts are nearly all purchased and set out ready to wrap; the ingredients for the goodies and the Christmas meals are all in the house and ready to get made. AND I only have to work two days this week so I might even have some time to relax over the upcoming long weekend! 

Last Week I: 

Listened To: I convinced a co-worker to read Maria Doria Russell's The Sparrow and realized I'd never read the sequel so this week I started Children of God. Not to far into it yet but have listened to enough to remember why The Sparrow gutted me. 

Watched: The Voice, Miracle on 34th Street, football and our Husker women win their way to the national championship.

Read: Same as last week. I just can't seem to make myself sit down and actually pick up a book for more than a few minutes at a time. 

Made: The Big Guy has, once again, done all of the cooking. Sometimes that means he's actually cooked, sometimes it means he's popped some fish sticks into the oven and made a salad. Either way we've eaten and I didn't have to lift a finger except to clean up. 

Enjoyed: Last night we went out with two of BG's siblings and their spouses, partly for Christmas and partly to celebrate his sister's and her husband's 50th wedding anniversary. We drank Prosecco, shopped, went to an old favorite bar for drinks, and had dinner. I hit the jackpot when I married into BG's family.

This Week I’m:  

Planning: Today is all about wrapping gifts and getting cards ready to mail. Then I'm on to the Christmas goodies. Miss H texted me this morning to see what treats I was making this year, as though I don't make the same things every year. But now I'm thinking I might just throw in a couple of different things this year, if I have time. And then sending the leftovers home with the kids so BG and I aren't grazing on them for a week after Christmas! 

Thinking About: My dad is in a rehabilitation facility and won't get to leave for Christmas so I'm thinking about how we're going to do a Christmas dinner with him and make it feel as festive as possible. 

Feeling: Old. My hair stylist is on maternity leave and my grey is really showing. Mini-me turned 32 yesterday and Miss H reminded me the other day that she's almost 29. And can I possibly be this old and my brain doesn't register it?

Looking forward to: Miss H arrives Saturday, a day earlier than she was expecting to be able to make it and I'm so excited to be able to have a day with her to just hang out before we start the celebrating. 

Question of the week: What are some of your traditional holiday foods? 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun filled week. I live in Sri Lanka and with our colonial past Christmas cake, mince pies, Yule log reminiscent from the British and breudher a rich bread somewhat like panettone left over from the Dutch form part of the fare.

    ReplyDelete