Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Body Scoop for Girls by Jennifer Ashton, MD with Christine Larson

The Body Scoop for Girls by Jennifer Ashton, M.D., Ob-Gyn with Christine Larson
304 pages
Published December 2009 by Penguin Group
Source: the publisher and Lisa with TLC Book Tours

Dr. Ashton, CBS Medical Correspondent, is an ob-gyn specializing in adolescent care. In this book she covers everything girls from preteens to teens need to know about their bodies. She covers everything from the changes the body undergoes to eating disorders to birth control in a candid and frank way that young girls will appreciate.

My nearly 15-year-old daughter and I read this book together, an experience I highly recommend. Dr. Ashton writes in much the way you would imagine she talks to her patients and it immediately put my daughter at ease. We're pretty open in our house but, even so, there were things in this book that I hadn't ever thought to bring up. As a mom, I appreciated Dr. Ashton's "Wait-Till-Eighteen Club" regarding sexual intercourse; she makes some very valid points for the medical value of waiting to have sex until you're at least 18 years old. The book also addresses the issues of body piercings, depression, sexually transmitted infections, and grooming in a way that made my daughter feel like she was having a conversation with someone who really understood what it's like to be her age. I was surprised to find myself learning a thing or two as well.

I had two very minor complaints with the book. Occasionally I felt like Dr. Ashton was pumping up her own practice a bit too much but, to be fair, if it's as great as she makes it sound, I wish she were closer. Also, in an effort to sound "with it," as we old folks like to say, Dr. Ashton uses terms and phrases that sound very appropriate now, such as calling information "the 411," but may sound dated in a few years.

**Warning: again, this is a very frank discussion about body parts and sexual matters which may be uncomfortable for some readers.**

This is a book that will remain on my daughter's bookshelf, one that I imagine she, and I, will reference many times in the coming years. Thanks, Lisa, for bringing this book to my attention.

For other opinions on this book, visit some of the other tour sites:

Date TBD: Feminist Review
Wednesday, January 6th: This Full House
Wednesday, January 13th: Lit and Life
Thursday, January 14th: Suko’s Notebook
Friday, January 15th: Shooting Stars Mag
Tuesday, January 19th: You’ve GOTTA Read This!
Wednesday, January 20th: Overstuffed
Thursday, January 21st: The Brain Lair
Friday, January 22nd: The Scholastic Scribe
Monday, January 25th: Juggling Life
Tuesday, January 26th: I’m Booking It
Wednesday, January 27th: World of Weasels
Thursday, January 28th: Raging Bibliomania
Friday, January 29th: A Novel Menagerie

8 comments:

  1. Good review! I am also sharing this book with my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book I would have found informative at 15. Might see if there is an equivalent for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful that you and your daughter can share this. I'm barely able to talk to my mom now abt such stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had had this when I was younger! But I had to crack up at 'the 411'...as a 23-year-old, I find that incredibly dated. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo for reading it with your daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound like a great book to read along with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea. I'm going to suggest it to my friend to share with her 13- and 15-year old daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Lisa, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the book and were able to share it with your daughter!

    Thanks so much for all the time you spent reading and reviewing this book. It is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete