Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
262 pages
Published March 2010 Simon & Schuster Adult
Source: bought this one to read with the Omaha Bookworms

In Enniscorthy, Ireland in post World War II, jobs are tough to come by so when Eilis Lacey is offered a part-time job at a local shop she can't turn down the opportunity despite the fact that neither her mother nor her sister approve of the owner. Not long afterward, Eilis' beloved sister, Rose, tells Eilis and her mother that she has invited a Father Flood to tea. Father Flood is originally from Enniscorthy but is currently living in the U.S. His purpose in coming to tea is to invite Eilis to come to Brooklyn; he will sponsor her and has already lined up a job and housing. As she sits there listening to the good father, Eilis realizes that both her mother and sister are being unusually quiet and it comes to her that it's really already been decided that she will be going to America.

After a horrible journey across rough seas, Eilis arrives in America to begin her new life and soon settles into a routine that is, well, routine and a little boring. Despite living in Brooklyn in a very exciting time, Eilis lives a very insular life. She goes to work, she goes to night school, she spends what little free time she has almost exclusively at the boarding house. And in all of those places, Eilis makes almost no effort to befriend anyone. She can't seem to find the place where she fits in and the things that happen around her seem to affect her very little. Perhaps the only thing that she is at all aware of is all of the discrimination rampant in the ethnically diverse borough.

Finally Eilis meets a nice Italian boy and discovers first love and finally becomes more a part of America. Then a terrible tragedy takes her back to Ireland. Once there, Eilis begins to feel the draw of a real home, unsure whether she will ever return to America.

I read this book with the Omaha Bookworms for our May selection after it was recommended by one of our members (Mari of Bookworm With A View). Mari loved it, in no small part because it evoked memories of stories she had heard from her grandparents who were Irish immigrants who settled in Brooklyn at about the same time. Only half of the ladies had actually finished the book so it was hard to talk too much about the book but even those who had only gotten part way through the book were really enjoying it.

Time moves at quite a pace in Brooklyn; Toibin bypasses long periods of time between episode and vignettes. Toibin compares his writing style to Ernest Hemingway with good cause; he knows how to tell a story with just what is necessary to tell the story perfectly. Nothing showy or lush about Brooklyn. All of the emotion is just under the surface and yet it is palpable and the characters are believable and realistic. This book was twice short-listed for the Mann Booker Prize and now I know why.

11 comments:

  1. I've been trying to gently steering my bookclub to this book for a while now, with limited success (We've already read two Irish book this year). It would make sense for us to read it send we're a group of long-term expats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one as well, when I read it (my first experience with the author).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read this one for awhile now, and have been thinking about doing it on audio. It does sound like a really incredible book, and I love reading about the immigrant experience written by an author who knows what he's doing. Great review on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book when I read it a few weeks ago. Definitely on my best of 2011 list so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read actually....I'm glad that the characters are believable and realistic because that is one of the biggest buy-in factors for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review. I haven't read too many for this one. I got it awhile back and started reading it but it didn't stick. I moved on to something else. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, it still is on my shelf to go back to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this one on my shelf for a good long time. Sounds like I should make some time to read it. Nice review Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very interesting read. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to call Toibin's writing sparse but I like your assessment that he writes just what is necessary. He is a favorite author of mine and this story had special meaning for me - my Mom emigrated from Ireland in the 60's and settled in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I met Toibin in January, he read an unpublished piece. Brilliant!

    Sorry to say not everyone finished the book....

    Sweden/Ireland... it's all the same :)

    ReplyDelete