Saturday, June 2, 2012

Summer Reading Plan

I've been seeing summer reading lists popping up all over the internet and thought it might be a good idea to put one together to keep myself on track. Oh sure, I have  a calendar with all of my reading commitments on it but it would be so easy to become distracted on a beautiful summer evening!

I've got three books to read this summer for the Omaha Bookworms Book Club. First up is Douglas Coupland's Generation A. This one is certainly out of my usual comfort zone but that's part of the beauty of being in a book club. For July we're reading Lucy Ferriss' The Lost Daughter which was recommended by Mari of Bookworm With A View. We finish up the summer with Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove, which one of our members has been raving about for years. Again, this one is not something I would usually pick up but who knows, maybe I'll discover a new genre I love.

The books I need to review this summer include:
Dead Beautiful by Melanie Dugan (reviewing June 13)
Equal of the Sun by Anita Amirrezvani (reviewing June 18)
My Dear I Wanted To Tell You by Louisa Young (reviewing June 27)
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (reviewing July 5) - author of The Financial Lives of the Poets
The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay (reviewing July 17) - author of The Birth House
The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey (reviewing July 19)
The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar (reviewing August 6) - author of The Space Between Us
The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy (reviewing August 27)

I'm thinking I also need to read one book that screams "summer read" in the next three months. I think that will be J. Courtney Sullivan's Maine which I had hoped to read last summer but never got to. I'd also like to work on a couple of books for challenges. Perhaps a re-read of Jane Eyre which will count toward the Gilmore Girls Challenge as well as being a great accompaniment to The Flight of Gemma Hardy. I think something light to fill out the schedule as well, perhaps a re-read of The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood for the Gilmore Girls Challenge. That looks like a ridiculous lot of reading for a person that has almost no vacation time yet. Hmm, we'll just have to see how willing I am to abandon housework this summer!


8 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    have you read The Flight of Gemma Hardy? I just put it on order from the library.

    Abandon housework! I am all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also hoping to read The Virgin Cure, I actually signed up for a TLC tour!

    Can't wait to read your thoughts on The World We Found... It's good but not as good for me as the other two we have read. LOVE her though and the way she writes about class, women, life.

    There are things you will hate abour the July book selection but there's so much to talk about. And chapter one... I'm not sure what to say but can't wait to talk about it!

    Enjoy your summer reading list. You have some serious plans layed out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maine is the one book screaming SUMMER READING to me, too. I sure hope to get to it before Labor Day. It would be even better to read on an actual trip to Maine, but I'm not sure if that will happen this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I'm not dividing books into summer reads piles, just trying to get to the ones I have promised to review or feature. That may take much of the summer. Have fun with the books on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great lists! I love that cover of Maine!! I've been wanting to make a list too, but every time I do something like that I always end up never reading anything on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love to re-read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood! It's definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Maine in the back of my mind too. It does scream summer and in a different way than my JAWS pick. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Summer Reading, Lisa!
    I have no reading plan at present as we've just got back from Italy and I've been taking stock regarding life in general. However, I have started blogging again (with a new blog) and hope that I can come back to posting with a fresh enthusiasm.
    Have a good weekend!
    (Linda P)

    ReplyDelete