Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday Salon - June 10

The Big Guy was out of town all last week. Even with Armchair BEA going on, you would have thought that would have left me plenty of free time to read and that I'd have lots of great bookish things to talk about today. You'd be wrong. For some reason, Miss H decided that while Dad was gone, we two girls should spend all of my non-working hours hanging out. I'm never going to turn down the chance to hang out with one of my kids when they want to spend time with me. I know I'm very lucky that we are so close - they are all three interesting, loving and fun people to be around. Dang, we done good!

This weekend was Omaha's Summer Arts Festival. The library system always has a big tent with books for sale. Usually these are the same as the regular weekly prices - $1.50 for hardcover and trade paperbacks. On Sunday at the festival, it's half price day but even at that price, we didn't necessarily want to haul books around the festival and heaven knows we didn't need any more books. Then a lady came around with a deal we couldn't refuse. If you bought a library bag for $1, that was your cost for as many books as you could fit in the bag. Well, of course we couldn't pass that up! We each picked up four books. I got Angela Carter's Wise Children, A.S. Byatt's The Children's Book, P.D. James' Death In Holy Borders and E.L. Doctorow's Billy Bathgate. The Big Guy added two more E.L. Doctorow books to our collection, The Waterworks and The City of God, as well as Glenn Meade's Brandenburg and Elmore Leonard's Road. Now I just have to convince The Big Guy that we need to turn the t.v. off and read, read, read!

What are you reading this week? Have you added any new books to your shelves this week?

4 comments:

  1. Great bargains. I must really make time to read The Children's Book one day... sounds wonderful but its length keeps putting me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was given a copy of The Children's Book as a gift and of course, I totally forgot about it. I really need to figure out what I already own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you did do a good job!! I love the $1 bag and the books you were able to pick up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a haul! I would have been packing them in at every angle! :) You might want to check out the Wicked Wildfire Read-A-Thon coming up in a couple weeks. 5 days of focus on reading - plus prizes, challenges and a Twitter party. Maybe it would be extra incentive to shut off the TV - I'm certainly hoping it is at my house.

    Enjoy your great finds.

    http://rebgeo.net/wicked-wildfire-read-a-thon/

    ReplyDelete