Sunday, October 30, 2016

Life: It Goes On - October 30

Wow! What a week we've had in my family! Thursday my nephew and his wife had a baby girl, my parents' first great-grandchild. We've toasted her arrival more than once in the past few days. Thursday evening Miss H took The Big Guy and I out to dinner for an early anniversary dinner. Friday was my birthday, which we celebrated with dinner out with friends. Yesterday, another of my nephew's got engaged to a young woman who is perfect for him. Today is our 34th wedding anniversary. Tomorrow is my mom's birthday so we headed to Lincoln to have dinner with my parents and my sister and her husband. It's been a whirlwind of food and champagne! Good thing I got a new pair tennies for my birthday because I really need to get to the gym this week!


This Week I'm:

Listening To: NW by Zadie Smith, which is turning out to be something of a struggle in the car. Also, listening to some "Reading Women," " NPR Books," and "Happier" podcasts while working out.

Watching: The World Series, football and, on PBS, The Durrells In Corfu. Some years ago I added Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals to my TBR list. Seeing the adaptation of the trilogy of his family's life has made me want to get that book back up to the top of my buy list. 

Reading: Sarah Water's Fingersmith. My plan was to have it finished by tomorrow but that's not going to happen. I am really enjoying it and will be through it yet this week. Then it's on to nonfiction reads for Nonfiction November. Not sure what I'll be reading for that yet; something foodie for Fall Feasting and maybe something football related.

Making: Two trips to the apple orchards this week have netted us 15 pounds of apples so you can imagine that we have been eating a lot of apples, including fried apples and apple crisp. I'd wager to say we still have 10 pounds left so I'm contemplating making applesauce this week. I'll also be trying a new recipe for homemade tomato soup.

Planning: A trip to Columbia to take my parents to meet the new little princess. Cannot. Wait!

Thinking About: Christmas. It's time to kick up the crafting and shopping. Miss S and Mini-me will not be able to get time off to come home for the holidays so I've got to get their gifts into the mail in a about 6 weeks - gasp!

Enjoying: A three-day weekend and the fabulous weather we've been having. I know a lot of you are eager for cooler temps but I'm happy to still see temps in the 70's. It's cool in the mornings and evenings, but so warm enough for long walks in crunchy leaves.

Feeling: Happy! See above.

Looking forward to: Getting Miss Evie into my arms!

Question of the week: What's your best advice for the new parents?

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all the happenings in you life at the moment! I hope you continue to have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many reasons to celebrate! I'm happy for all of you... enjoy the moments :)

    I got an audio review copy of NW when it was released but, unfortunately, it turned out to be a DNF for me. Not sure I would've done much better with print, so I understand your struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday and happy anniversary! Our 28th is coming up on the 6th.

    Crazy warm weather this past week. I couldn't believe we hit 83. The trick-or-treaters will be very happy tonight.

    I'm going to put together a stack of nonfiction books to read this month. November is the perfect time for this since I'm easily distracted with all the things I need to do to get ready for the holidays (not to mention being exhausted from work!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your anniversary! How wonderful for a new little baby in the family. What a lot of celebrations going on. How fun for you all.
    Kayo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, happy anniversary, and congratulations to the new addition! What a week! I've been curious about The Durrells in Corfu but haven't watched it yet and definitely didn't know it was based on a book. I'm adding that to my TBR now. I'm refusing to think about any other holiday until tomorrow when Halloween is done but then the Thanksgiving/Christmas planning is going to be in full swing. I'm not ready! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new addition! My best advice for new parents, don't buy a lot of stuff. The baby really doesn't need it and it just clutters up the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your great niece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! LOTS to celebrate this week! Happy birthday! Happy anniversary! And congrats on the new addition to the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, happy anniversary, and congratulations on the new addition! What an amazing week/weekend!

    ReplyDelete