Thursday, September 12, 2019

Lit: Uniquely Portable Magic

In this week's episode of "Let's Clean Up Lisa's Bookish-Related Facebook Saves," I'm looking at books about children. I wasn't sure why I, who have only adult children, would have saved posts about books for little people. But as soon as I started looking at the lists, I remembered how much joy children's books have bought me over the years. And now I want start rereading the children's books that I've been saving.

Gretchen Rubin, who is a huge fan of children's literature, shared a list of her 81 favorite children's and young adult books. The list only includes one book by any given author so only James And The Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis. Most of my favorites are on this list, as are many of my kids' favorites. There are also a lot of books on this list that I've never even heard of!

From Romper comes a list of 19 Obscure Children's Books Your Child Should Have On Their Shelf. Again, there are a couple of books here that I've never heard of but I'm pretty excited to see All Of A Kind Family, Pippi Longstockings In The South Seas, and Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang on this list.

Some of the same books that appeared on these lists also appear on The New York Public Library's 100 Great Children's Books|100 Years. If you're invited to a book shower or a children's birthday party, you can't go wrong with buying any of the books on this list. You've got to figure that this list includes books that have been popular with children at the library for decades. I've chosen to show you Crockett Johnson's Harold and the Purple Crayon which was one of my son's favorite books when he was little and which I credit for providing him early encouragement for his creative mind.

After looking at these lists, is there anything missing that you would include?

No comments:

Post a Comment