Saturday, August 7, 2010

Raves About Books I Loved!


On NPR this week, librarian and blogger Nancy Pearl picked her under the radar reads. Included among the books were both of Emily St. John Mandel's books--"Last Night in Montreal" and "The Singer's Gun." Mandel is currently working on her third book - it's got a lot to live up to!

Also making the list was Tatjana Soli's "The Lotus Eaters." I'm excited to see these great books getting recognition. But I am a little sad to realize that they are all still "under the radar!"

Another title from Unbridled Books that I read and enjoyed a lot was Jason Quinn Malott's "The Evolution of Shadows" which was just named on of Kansas' 2010 Notable Books, the top books published in 2009 written by Kansans or about Kansas. Malott falls in the first category--he lives in Wichita.

9 comments:

  1. Well I own the first 2 but have not read them, so I am now moving them up in the TBR pile . Thanks Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Lotus Eaters and Evolution of Shadows. Unbridled has so much good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa.

    And totally irrelevant, The Geelong Cats are second on the ladder in the AFL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised to learn that Mandel's 2 books and The Lotus Eaters are "under the radar" books. I haven't read them yet but they are on my tbr list and I have read great reviews about all of them. I'm glad Nancy wrote about them and you as well!

    Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love St. John Mandel and think that her books are excellent, so I am not surprised to hear that she is getting some much deserved love. I also want to read The Lotus Eaters very soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Mandel's books and have The Lotus Eaters on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lotus Eaters is definitely on my list - I actually listened to a great interview with the author on NPR not that long ago. NPR is a great resource for good reads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unbridled books sure has some exciting titles, right? I loved Last Night in Montreal, and can't wait to read Singer's Gun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got The Lotus Eaters on my shelf and am anxiously trying to fit it in somewhere. I've heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete