Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Salon - August 22

Mini-me went off to buy his books for college last week. What a shock that was to his poor little checkbook! It got me kind of riled up as well, I must admit. His art history book alone cost $121. It's paperback! How do the publishers even justify that? How can college textbooks cost three of four times more than a regular book of the same size? If you can explain this to me, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I recently read Audrey Niffenegger's "Her Fearful Symmetry" thanks to the kind folks at Regal Literary who sent me a copy. Have you seen what they're giving away? To promote the paperback release of "Her Fearful Symmetry," Regal Literary is giving away a trip to London that includes a tour, by Audrey Niffenegger, of Highgate Cemetery! There are also 350 signed copies of the book being given away and 100 custom "Her Fearful Symmetry" broadsheets. This giveaway is open to any blogger you writes a review, good or bad, of the book and submits it no later than September 17th.

This week kicks off "The Handmaid's Tale" readalong hosted by Trish at Classic Reads Book Club. I'm very excited to finally have had the kick in the rear I needed to get around to reading this book. Which apparently everyone else read in high school. I had English in high school; what the heck were we reading? Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm old. "The Handmaid's Tale" wasn't even published until a really long time after I graduated. Any way, it's not too late to join us!

I'm off to write reviews. By some miracle, I'm actually behind on reviews. See--I told you I was still reading even though I wasn't present in the blogosphere! What's on your reading agenda this week?

14 comments:

  1. The text book industry is positively criminal. My personal strategy was to visit the university bookstore to copy down all the ISBN numbers and then try to find everything I needed at half.com. I would also sell my books back on half.com which will almost always have a vastly better return than selling back to the bookstore. Best of luck to your son and to you with your review writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the Uni books. Our daughter (Lu) is up for $600 in books for just one of her subjects this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. College textbook prices are killer. I always bought used (unless I HAD to have new for the class), and I always bought at a used textbook shop in the city instead of at the bookstore.

    Can't wait to see what you think of Her Fearful Symmetry and The Handmaid's Tale. I didn't read that in high school either, I just recently read it for the first time and really liked it. It was scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about college textbooks - its obscene what they charge! My little sister is in law school and she just spent close to $700 bucks on books for one term - how crazy is that? I seriously do not understand how one book alone can cost nearly 200 dollars - what's it made of? Definitely unjust!

    As far as Her Fearful Symmetry - loved that book! I can't wait to find out what you think of it! And that's great about The Handmaid's Tale - such a wonderful book! Sounds like some great reads are lined up for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to love Her Fearful Symmetry but I just didn't. I did love Time Traveler's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy The Handmaid's Tale! I read it in college and it was one of my first introductions to Margaret Atwood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also think that the price for college textbooks is totally outrageous, and frankly, it makes me a little angry. My kids aren't at that point yet, but when they are, I just know I will be grumbling about it.

    Also, thanks for the info on the Niffenegger contest. I might have to try my hand to win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Handmaid's Tale. Hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, not to justify nor enter into a long economics dissertation but... it's all supply and demand. The publishers try and get profs to use their textbooks but no one will COMMIT until ... and so they only print up a few hundred and then... It's probably an excellent case study for the ol' econ class. :) And who knows what e-reading will do sometime SOON to how this process 'works'.
    BEST to the student!!
    oh, and I love The Handmaid Tale and was bewildered how I had missed knowing this was a must-read (until I started blogging...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're reeling from college textbook prices this week, too! Looking forward to your thoughts on Atwood. I read that book shortly after it was published and have been thinking about a reread. My review situation is out of hand - 5 are waiting, but time is short this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to read your review for Her Fearful Symmetry - I know you didn't love it. I wonder if listening to the audio makes the experience, I can still hear the woman's voice telling the story and see Elsbeth in the drawer!

    Congratulations on getting another child to college! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. At the university I work for, I've noticed that many of the required textbooks are written by the professors that teach the classes. It's rigged. They set high price points knowing that the students have to buy them. THEN, they change editions every two years to avoid the benefits of buying a used copy. Education should not be so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Textbooks for college are ridiculously priced. Our college is doing RENT A TEXT, but I am sure it is not cheap!

    Handmaid's Tale is very good IMO.

    Have a great week Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh MY! The books are REALLY pricey! They are the same here... and I seriously don't understand, why!

    I wish I had the book and I would have definitely joined the readalong! I hope you have a good week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete