Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Published June 2012 by Crown Publishing Group
Source: this one is mine - I bought it at Dragonfly Books in Decorah, Iowa

From The Publisher:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick Dunne’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River.  

My Thoughts:
I picked this one up last summer, thinking I was going to read it immediately during the height of its frenzy. And then I didn't. I don't know why. When one of the Omaha Bookworms suggested it as a book club suggestion, I knew it was time to pick it up. The best part of waiting? I will actually be able to discuss it with other people.


This book has so many twists and turns to it, so many surprises, that it is all but impossible to give you any more of a description than what I've given you without starting to give away little clues. That made it impossible to discuss on a blog or Twitter. If you're old enough to remember the movie The Crying Game, this book is that movie's book equivalent. No one talked. Which was great going into the book. But I really, really want to talk to someone about it now!

My only real quibble with Gone Girl (and, I suppose, it's a pretty big quibble) is that I had to work pretty hard at times to buy into some of the plot details and I was frustrated by the ending. But the ride to get there was just so much fun that I had to get over it. If you're going to enjoy the book, you'll have to be able to do that. 

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all the twists so much, but I am always torn about whether saying there is a twist is in fact a spoiler, or if it will get someone to read a book they wouldn't otherwise read. Before I read Gone Girl, I read a review in which it actually said what PAGE the twist occurred on! That was a little much, I thought! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one, but not as much as most readers. I liked her first 2 books more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this, too.

    Almost all of GONE GIRL is a five-star book, i.e., it deserves the highest rating. Every page of the book builds more and more tension. It really is the best kind of book: unputdownable.

    But the last part of the book gets a little stupid, silly. And the end: other reviewers have said that it comes as a surprise. True. But I didn't like it. It is as if Flynn couldn't think of an end to the story so just stopped.

    Personally, I think the end should be rewritten.

    Thank you to readitforward.com for giving me this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this was a tough one to review and you can't really discuss it online for fear of spoiling it for everyone.

    I'm emailing you about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to be able to chat about it with you here but I don't want to be a spoilery type of person. All I'll say is that this book was a crazy ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember The Crying Game but I never saw it! I see you are reading Bunker Hill. I have that on hold at the library but the audio version. THought I give that a try. I bet the audio of 13th Tale is amazing. I love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a wild ride, for sure. But the ending kind of ruined it for me. So disappointing :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. GO to BookJourney's post and read her SPOILERS discussion. IT's a hoot. I loved this book for the wild ride and thought it crazy fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am on the waiting list for this one and I can't wait! Love that no one spoils it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I toss all of those things out the window and just go with a book when I'm really enjoying it! This one I loved! I think it would be a great book to discuss, so have fun!

    ReplyDelete