Sunday, May 25, 2014

Life: It Goes On - May 25

Happy Memorial Day to those of you celebrating in the U.S. We had planned to visit the graves of The Big Guys parents and their families but it turned out not to be the best weekend to do that. So we've filled up our long weekend with all kinds of other fun things.

Friday night was drinks and s'mores on the patio with friends, Saturday was a trip to Lincoln to spend time with my brother, his wife, my sister, and my parents, today will be brunch with many of the same cast plus my aunt and uncle and our kids, and tomorrow we have a party with friends. Much fun! In between, I'm working in some gardening, some reading, and quite a lot of baseball.

Here's What I'm:
The neighbors' beautiful flowers
Listening To: I've been listening to Sarah Addison Allen's Garden Spells but half way through it I think I've come to accept the fact that this book just is not for me. I believe Tuesday will find me starting Dave Eggers' What Is The What.

Watching: Lots of season finales this week - Person of Interest, Mr. Selfridge, Survivor, and The Voice - and baseball, lots of baseball. Omaha is hosting the Big 10 Tourney, setting attendance records daily and today will see our Huskers playing for the championship.

Reading: Jennifer Chiaverini's The Spymistress for review this week.

In memory of my grandma
Making: Pumpkin coffee cake and egg casseroles for brunch this morning, some new twists on s'mores, and lasagna.

On the right is one of the signs I made for my mom for Mother's Day on barn wood my brother-in-law salvaged. My parents have a lot of gardens and family plays a role in several of them so the signs all have family meaning.

Planning: On doing some shopping this week - we have graduation parties and a wedding to attend in the next couple of weeks. So fun to help people celebrate these big days

Grateful for: All of the rain that's made things so green and all of the sunshine that's meant we could enjoy it.

Loving: Mini-me and my nephew are taking their grandpa to the Big 10 Championship game today. I love that these kids are so close to their grandparents.

Feeling: That walks around the lake are much more fun than walks around the track but walks around the track are much more productive. You don't have to keep stopping to listen to birds, wonder why some one's pet ferret seems to be living at the lake, and taking pictures.

Thinking: Your kids may grow up but you never stop being a tiger mother. So angry that someone stole Mini-me's bike out of his garage. I just cannot understand why someone thinks it's okay for them to just come in and take something that someone else worked hard to get.

Looking forward to: The first strawberries of the season - any day now!

7 comments:

  1. Good things! And it's funny you mentioned What Is the What. I've been eyeing that one from my bed, when I'm blogging. It's sitting right across the way on my TBR Challenge shelf for 2014 and taunting me. I think I might try to pick it up next, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful photo of the lake! I agree - walking around the lake is what I would go for! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've had a nice but busy weekend like us. Enjoy your Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to do some graduation shopping too but I am dreading it. I am just not into shopping anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sign! I'm curious to read Garden Spells as I love the cover but it's good to know not everyone just loves it if it doesn't work for me. That's too awful about your son's bike. How frustrating as there's not much that can be done. The picture of the lake is gorgeous and it definitely sounds like much better than just walking a track even if you're not as productive though I must admit I'm curious about the ferret!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a nice weekend, Lisa, even if it didn't go quite as planned. We drove up into the mountains Saturday, and had a lovely day, walking the trails and later visiting the shops in Idyllwild. It was the perfect day for it.

    I'm sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying Garden Spells. That's one I've been really wanting to read.

    That is awful about the bike being stolen right out of the garage. :-(

    I hope you are enjoying your week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I would take that walk around the lake any day! We have a nice big pond in McKinney and I've considered loading up the stroller to walk around...but it's already bordering on too hot. Damn summer!

    S'mores!

    Enjoy What is the What. I listened to it on audio and liked it but I wouldn't mind re-reading it on paper to really grasp it.

    Such a sweet garden sign!

    ReplyDelete