Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Lit: Uniquely Portable Magic

The interwebs and I are having some discussions lately about what I do and do not have time for.

I'd all but abandoned my Tumblr account a couple of years ago then recently started using it again. It hasn't taken me long to grasp two things: I don't really have an interest in posting things there and it can be a massive time suck. I'm not opposed to falling into a rabbit hole of interesting things but there is only so much time in a day and so many rabbit holes to fall into. Not sure how much longer I'll keep it on my phone.

To that same end, I've essentially stopped using Goodreads. I started my account there to keep a log of the books I was reading/had read and to find a community of other readers. Then I started this blog as a way to log the books I was reading and I found a community of readers among bloggers, some people started making problems among some of the groups I belonged
to on Goodreads, and Amazon bought Goodreads. I'm fully aware that Amazon doesn't notice me avoiding them but a girl's gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere. So, I've exported all of my shelves to other places, although I've yet to close my account. I do miss parts of it but there's only so much time in a day and...

Litsy. It's like Instagram, Goodreads, and a blog all rolled into one. I'm kind of an addict already, checking in several times a day. **addendum** Funny thing. I wrote this post on 6/11/16. On Book Riot on 6/13/16, I find that they are saying Litsy is Instagram and Goodreads rolled into one. I guess great minds think alike!

Here's one of the reasons I need to cut back on my computer time - so many new books in my house!

The Marriage of Opposites is my book club's selection for June; Finding Fontainebleau is for a review; Fate and Furies, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, and The Woman Upstairs (audiobook is in my car) all came from my library's weekly sale and the rest of the books I picked up from Better World Books for $2 each. On my Nook I've recently added Eight Hundred Grapes, Monument Men, Auntie Mame, The Book of Strange New Things, Live Through This, Be Frank With Me, Lit, The Bucolic Plague, and Mr. Splitfoot. Plus there are a couple of new ones on my iPad as well (although The Big Guy has that in his clutches at the moment and I don't have the strength to fight it out of his hands). This is going to make it difficult to #readmyowndamnbooks.

So, balance. Gotta find it. Because it all goes back to my word of the year, "happier."


5 comments:

  1. Oh The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down was so good. It should be required reading for all health care professionals.

    My library is making it difficult for me to read my own books lately.

    I love Litsy but I've only been a sporadic poster so far. Need to do more of that.

    Balance is good - keep working toward that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of Litsy, but I actually HATE typing on my phone, so I'm always like "ugh, don't wanna add stuff here". I like following what other people are reading though. Maybe I'll just do two-word reviews and blurbs over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I log into Tumblr every once in awhile and then realize that it isnt' for me. There's lots of funny stuff but it is such a time suck. Litsy is tempting me but I'm not so great on the social media I do have so the idea of adding something else is a little intimidating. You got so many great new books! I really want to read Eight Hundred Grapes, Monument Men, and Be Frank with Me. Balance is tough to find and it feels like there's always something trying to unbalance me when I finally do find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Social media has a way of taking up a lot of our time if we let it. I still use Goodreads to keep track of the books I've read, but I don't spend much time there otherwise. I have a Tumblr account, but I've never really gotten into it. I'm starting to explore Instagram a lot more, but it's still a once in a while sort of thing for me. And since I don't have an iPhone, Litsy isn't an option for me at this time. It's one of those things that seems like all the popular kids get to play with and the rest of us feel left out. LOL I hear they are working on an Android version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started a Litsy account but made one post on it and haven't opened it since. I don't know if it is because I am getting burned out on social media in general or what. I know I never really posted book pictures online anyway, so I'm not certain if I need one more site to follow that is just devoted to books.

    ReplyDelete