Sunday, June 19, 2016

Life: It Goes On - June 19

Happy Father's Day to all of the father's out there and those who have played the role of a father in a child's life! We'll celebrate shortly with a late brunch with my parents; my sister, brother-in-law and niece; and my nephew who happens to be in town for the College World Series.
.
Remember last week when I told you it was a hot? Yeah, it's still that. So hot (and now humid) that I can't even stand to do dinners on the patio and you know how much I love those! I'm a little testy about missing the longest days of the year inside.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I'm loving listening to Cassandra Campbell narrate The Woman Upstairs and I've been catching up on some podcasts, too, including Slate's Audio Book Club's discussion of Curtis Sittenfield's Eligible.

Watching: Baseball and Miss H and I finally finished season three of Orange Is The New Black. She's been watching season four of Parks and Rec so I've caught up in a few episodes of that as well.

Reading: The Marriage of Opposites for book club this week. Really enjoying that so far.
BG cutting steak for today - the
mooch wasn't allowed on the
stool next to him but that didn't
stop the mooching

Making: More granola, mini bagel sandwiches for Mini-me and Miss S to take on the road, and breakfast tortillas for today's brunch.

Planning: Nothing. My plans of late seem to get waylaid so I'm just going to play it by ear this week.


Thinking About: Milwaukee. Mini-me, Miss S and one of their friends who drives trucks took a UHaul there yesterday. She starts her residency there next week. Mini-me will join her there in a couple of months when his job here wraps up but they took everything up now and he will live on the bare minimum of furniture and clothes until then. I wish I were a fly on the wall. Oh, who are we kidding - I wish I were there with them!

Enjoying: I met a long lost friend for lunch the other day. We were inseparable middle through high school but haven't seen each other in more than thirty years. Lunch lasted four hours and we were so busy talking that I forgot to take a picture!

Also, the College World Series. We'll be cheering for the TCU Horned Toads since we have dear friends who are alumni. Miss H, the baseball fiend, had to have a shirt to celebrate.

Feeling: I didn't cry when we left the moving crew by some miracle. But that's not to say I'm not feeling pretty sad to know I'm not going to see Miss S again for months.

Looking forward to: Book club this week. We didn't meet last week and I'm missing those ladies!

Question of the week: What are you reading this week? I'm having the urge to make my own readathon this week. So many books I want to read and so little time!


8 comments:

  1. Cassandra Campbell is one of my favorite narrators and I've been wanting to read The Woman Upstairs so it definitely sounds like I should go the audio route! I'm with you on the so many books to read. I keep toying with the idea of doing my own readathon but somehow I can't seem to get the timing right. We're hot and humid too so I've been spending the bulk of my time inside as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your cat is all interested in that steak and how lovely to reconnect with an old friend. I feel like I've been doing the most reading I've done this year so far. I finished a Chinese, historical fiction that was good. After a bunch of YA and romances, I started a cozy mystery and while I'm not into the meat of the plot yet, the cat in it is quite a feisty character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of your husband cutting steak and your cat staring at him is the funniest ever. Lol! So sorry about Miss S moving away - partings can be so hard! Enjoy your book club meeting this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some big changes are ahead... surely bittersweet for you though. The Woman Upstairs is such a good book - glad you're enjoying it. I'm looking forward to my book club this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you had good weekend with the family. Enjoy your book club meeting and your readathon. Reserved books from the library are coming in all at once! Top of the pile is Janice Y.K. Lee's The Expatriates, which you reviewed a while back, although I could do with something that will make me laugh out loud right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I type this, it is 114 degrees. We have days where it gets this hot but rarely and never this early in the season. Our poor, dead landscape is not doing well. I saw a recipe for frozen lemonade that involved one cut up lemon (peel and all) 2 cups of ice water and some ice and sugar all blended up. It sounds pretty good right now. Oh... and you can add mint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you had to re-work for meal plans because of the humidity. It's been awhile since I last put on an audiobook. I should settle on a new one and see what I think. I am glad you are enjoying The Marriage of Opposites so far. I have my eye on that one. Your read-a-thon idea sounds wonderful. I have the books . . . Now I just need to find the extra time!

    Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those weeks until you see Miss S again will be over before you know it! And at least she is getting away from the heat...although our humidity is enough to make the strongest person cry. I could see the moisture in the air this morning and it wasn't as fog. It was weird.

    I hope you had fun with your book club this week!

    ReplyDelete