Sunday, October 25, 2020

Life: It Goes On - October 25

Happy Sunday! It is cold here (30 degrees) and grey and yesterday we had to pull out all of the annual plants so the the yard looks bleak. What's worse is that we have snow in the forecast for later today/tonight. Y'all, this is why I don't get too excited about autumn - it so often lasts such a short time and the prospect of an extra long winter is daunting. Especially this year. So I'm trying to think of projects I can do that will keep me busy and make our home more cozy and less cluttered. How you may ask, can my home still be cluttered when I am forever decluttering? I wish I knew the answer to that question!

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I finished James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time and now I'm listening to Motherless Brooklyn. We saw the movie adaptation and really enjoyed it and, so far, I'm enjoying the book as well.

Watched: My brother-in-law arrived Friday afternoon and is using our house as a home base through Monday. He and The Big Guy have watched baseball, football, and hours and hours of Alaska: The Last Frontier and Gold Rush. Not what I would ever pick but I must admit that I did get a little caught up in those people's lives. 

Read: I'm highlighting the heck out of White Rage so it's taking me quite a while to get through. I've also started Finola Austin's Bronte's Mistress, which is a good break for me from all of the heavy stuff. 

Made: I threw together a Mexican soup the other night; I really need to at least write down what I used because we both really enjoyed it. One night I made spaghetti sauce to freeze and today I made enchiladas. At least this cold has me cooking again.

Enjoyed: Book club even if we had to do it by Zoom. We had actually moved it back two days because it was supposed to be 76 degrees on Thursday. Supposed to be. It's going to take some getting used to again but at least we got to see each other and catch up.

This Week I’m:  

Planning:
I finished painting those chairs I was working on last week and will get the seats recovered this week. My office reorganization got sped up when my BIL arrived because the guest room was full of office stuff that needed to get moved. That meant that I didn't get as much of a chance to sort and toss as I went so after I finish up getting everything in place this week, I'll start going through stuff to try to create some breathing space in there.

Thinking About: Christmas. I know, I know - it's too soon. But I'm hearing that shipping is going to be really slow come December so I'm going to try to get Mini-me's and Ms. S's gifts ready and sent in the next couple of weeks. 

Feeling: Like taking a nap. These grey skies make me so tired!

Looking forward to: my 38th anniversary and my mom's birthday this week. 

Question of the week: Are you making any changes around your homes to make them pandemic winter ready?

3 comments:

  1. It got cold here overnight as well (30s and 50 by day today). I guess winter is really coming. I can't think about holidays this year - out loud at least, too depressing. Have a good week Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My book club is having a disagreement on mask wearing so moving our meetings off of Zoom has been difficult. We met last week in person, outside and people did end up wearing masks but not willingly and I could feel the tension. Not sure what this means for future meetings.

    It is very cold today and very windy. It's reminding me of how it was when we shut down in March. I would sit here in this cold corner of my house feeling so defeated. I hope we don't have this weather through the holidays. Most likely not. I can recall many Thanksgiving meals where it was 90 degrees with my hot kitchen in full gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice organization! I'm starting on my books and we did some of the basement on Saturday! Looking nice.

    We got hit with the cold too. Woke up to snow and wind Sunday morning. We should be back up to the 60s for another week but who knows after that...

    I've gotta finish off my gifts in the next couple of weeks and get them out too! It's cutting it close for me right now since I know shipping is going to be hell in December.

    Happy 38! How exciting! Congrats. I hope you get to do something fun.

    I'm stocking up a bit on canned goods and I want a deep freezer. I'm also trying to go through stuff and clean up a bit before it gets really cold. I'm not moving very fast, though...

    ReplyDelete