Sunday, June 6, 2021

Life: It Goes On - June 6

Happy Sunday from hot Omaha! We've gone straight from early spring to summer - almost none of those Top Ten kind of days we usually get in May. But it is still cooling off enough in the evenings to enjoy time at the end of the day on the patio, which you know I love. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I finished the fourth Hamish Macbeth book then started Sarah Smarsh's Heartland which is really making me think. Smarsh grew up poor in rural Kansas and she's got some interesting comparisons we don't always think about - rural versus town (not necessarily urban), poor versus middle-class. As someone who's lived her entire life in flyover country, you'd think I could empathize but I'm finding that there are a lot of ways my life differed and a lot of ways I like to think my life differed. 

Watched: We started watching Outlander this week. I've only read one of the books and I had major issues with it but The Big Guy wanted to give the show a shot. So far I'm finding that some of what really bothered me about the book has been left out of the show so maybe we'll keep watching. 

Read: Virginia Pye's River of Dust, which was published by Unbridled Books. I used to read a lot of Unbridle's books and now I remember why. 

Made: Salads, salads, and more salads. I'm not sure we've had the oven on all week. 

View from the terrace at BG's 
brother's terrace - the Nebraska
state capital.

Enjoyed:
 Time with two of BG's siblings and one spouse (his brother's wife couldn't make the trip). We haven't seen in brother in more than a year and his sister maybe only once since COVID started so it was great to be together with them at last. And to get those "we're all vaccinated" hugs!

This Week I’m:  

Planning: On finally finishing that desk project I've been working on for a couple of weeks. I didn't have much time to work on it last weekend and it's by far the hardest project I've ever taken on. And I still haven't decided if it will get painted or stained or a combination of both. BG doesn't care at this point; he just wants to be able to get his car back in the garage!

Thinking About: What my next project should be. I've got some things I want to get done in the gardens but also I'd like to get my laundry room painted and new flooring down in there. BG is always nervous when I start saying "I have an idea about..." 

Feeling: Excited about being a great-aunt again and grateful that my niece lives somewhere where they have great health care. The new little guy arrived three weeks early so he's tiny but both mom and baby are doing well. Can't wait to meet him!

Looking forward to: A quiet week. 

Question of the week: It looks like it's hot this week all over the country. How are you keeping cool?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new little babe. Seems like everyone is having babies right now.

    It was very hot for us last week but today it's 60 and gray, very gray. I love it. Last week I got very grouchy when it got hot so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so hot here yesterday that they allowed people to bring water bottles into the University football game for the first time ever. Still, I'd rather be too warm than too cold. I can turn up the a/c, turn on fans, wear shorts and a tank top. But when you layer on too many things in the winter, then it just makes doing things harder and it's too expensive to keep the heat up warm enough that you don't have to bundle up.

    ReplyDelete