Sunday, July 11, 2021

Life: it Goes On - July 11

Happy Sunday! We are counting our blessing this weekend - Omaha got hit with a terrible thunderstorm Friday night and we had only minimal damage and didn't lose power. Our fifty-gallon recycling bin did get filled up with rain water (rain was coming off the roof so fast it went over the gutters). I calculated that that much water weighed about 400 lbs! Throughout a lot of town, though, power is still out, trees were uprooted, and property damaged or destroyed.  We went out to grab a quick bite last night and there were big crowds at all of the restaurants of people who can't make themselves a meal at home right now. Whenever you get to feeling sorry for yourself, it's good to be reminded that there are other people who have it harder than you do.

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I started Taylor Jenkins Reid's latest, Malibu Rising. As much as I enjoy Julia Whalen's reading, I'm wondering if I would like this one better in print. Maybe some of the analogies wouldn't seem so cliche. 

Watched: Lots of HGTV and I found a channel that shows repeats of some of HGTV's older series. One of the series, Find and Design, focused on using flea market and garage sale finds to redesign a room and even 17 years after it originally aired, it still inspired me. I love finding things (or better yet, having someone say "hey, I'm getting rid of this; do you want it?") and making them my own. Every room in my house has at least one piece of furniture I've painted, refinished, or repurposed. 

Read: I finally finished Twelve Patients. It had a lot of interesting and thought-provoking information but I also had some issues with it. Yesterday I started Lucy Foley's The Guest List

Made: Bbq chicken, cowboy caviar, loose meat sandwiches, french onion dip - it was all about summer eating at our house this week. 


Enjoyed:
 I took an extra day off last weekend and got my hair done. You know how much I love those couple of hours getting pampered and feeling ten years younger when I leave the salon! For the past year, since I wasn't really seeing anyone, I've been sticking to the same old, same old. This time I kicked up the fun again and my stylist threw some reddish, purplish colors in there.

This Week I’m:  

Planning: I've been slow this summer about lightening up the house but this week I'm pulling up some rugs (which will get cleaned in the driveway today), swapping out the patriotic decor for some summer vibes, and doing some decluttering. 

Thinking About: The Big Guy's brother and his wife were getting rid of a chair (which, of course, I didn't hesitate to say "yes" to taking!) and it will need to be reupholstered to work where I want to use it. The questions are: what fabric to use, do I paint or strip the wood, and do I attempt to reupholster it myself? BG is just rolling his eyes (as usual) but I promise him he'll like it when I'm done!

Feeling: Happy. My kids all seem to be in good places right now and that makes this mama's heart happy. 

Looking forward to: I've got some good things planned for eats this week, including some new recipes. Today caprese salad is on the menu. 

Question of the week: What's your favorite food that's in season in the summer? 

2 comments:

  1. I've been addicted to HGTV since it first aired Room By Room & also watched This Old House. I have too many now to mention :)

    I've never made Cowboy Caviar so I've added it to my "soon" list.

    I like your hair! I need to go get mine cut asap.

    I think having kids in good places is such a Blessing!

    My favorite summer foods is watermelon.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - I must have missed that you were listening to Twelve Patients! That's been on my list for a while, so I'll be interested in your thoughts. Your hair looks great!!

    ReplyDelete