Sunday, July 18, 2021

Life: It Goes On - July 18

Happy Sunday! Boy, was this a week that didn't go as planned! Wednesday a.m. Miss H woke up in a lot of pain and took herself to the emergency room. After five hours, someone finally looked at her and after three more hours determined that she had kidney stones that were moving and that she needed surgery. Needless to say, this mama spent a good part of Wednesday distracted then came home from work and packed to head south early Thursday morning. Got her home Friday and I got home late Friday night. After spending the night Thursday in a hospital recliner, I may have offered to let one of her friend's 13-year-old daughter come live with me and tried to kidnap her roommate's dog. Neither of these would have been popular with The Big Guy! 

Last Week I: 

My view Thursday
 Listened To: I finished Malibu Rising and started Daphne du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel for books. I also listened to Hamilton when I was driving in the city and to keep me awake on the way home. 

Watched:
 I lost track of how many episodes of Friends, The Office, Impractical Jokers, and Brooklyn 99 Miss H and I watched while I was there. Believe it or not, I had never sat through an entire episode of The Office before. Also, I can happily live the rest of my life without ever seeing Impractical Jokers again. 

Read: I'm balancing books that are due for review, book club, and expiration dates so I've got three going right now: The Guest List, The Summer Before The War, and The Ocean In Winter. Good thing I'm enjoying all of them but I'd prefer to be able to focus on them one at a time. 

Made:
 Not as much as I'd planned, needless to day. I did get some caprese salad made - that's something that basically lives in my refrigerator throughout the summer. We also grilled chicken, burgers, and corn on the cob and I made some cucumber dip. And I just pulled a loaf of sourdough bread out of the oven - maybe the best loaf I've ever made, at least to look at. 

Enjoyed: A new, to me, place to eat in Kansas City (Shawnee, actually) - McLain's Market. We will definitely be going back when we're down to see her again. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: Finishing up a plant project I'm working on inside the house. Things are getting repotted, moved, pruned. We've got sixteen on the first floor and they were starting to feel like they were taking over the place!

Thinking About: The new to us chair and ottoman that need to be reupholstered and what that will take. 

Feeling: Grateful for the staff at the hospital who worked hard to keep Miss H pain free without narcotics, which, as a recovering addict, are a real danger for her. 

Looking forward to: Book club Tuesday. 

Question of the week: My family has spent so much time in hospitals that I'm kind of a pro when it comes to packing to spend time in one. What's something you always take that you'd recommend? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad Miss H's surgery went well and she was able to be kept pain free without narcotics. Even without the recovering addition there are so many other problems to be had with them. I am a big fan of Friends and The Office (and watched quite a few late at night in the hospital myself!) but could also do without Impractical Jokers. A little goes a LONG way. I hope this week is much calmer and everyone gets lots of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no ... poor Miss H! And poor Mom, too. Glad you are all on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kidney stones are the worst. I can't believe it took them so long to see her given the amount of active pain she was in.

    ReplyDelete