Thursday, March 3, 2022

Lit: Uniquely Portable Magic

Wow! It's been ages since I've done one of these posts! Since I don't have any reviews this week, it seemed like a good time to get back to it. Let's see what's in the old "saved" file, shall we?

Since we've just recently celebrated Valentine's Day, let's start with some book recommendations about love and relationships. First up is Gretchen Rubin's My 5 Favorite Novels About Relationships. I've only read two on her list but they are two of my all-time favorite books so I'm fairly certain I'll agree with Rubin about the other three. 

Also, having just finished up black history month, here are some recommendations for those of you who still wants to learn more. Penguin Random House has this list of Anti-Racist Books to Read and Reread Now; the list includes both fiction and non-fiction. I've actually read quite a few of them, including Hood Feminism by Mikki Kendall; in my review of that book, I wrote this: 
"But it really wasn’t until this year that I’ve really started waking up to the fact that reading diversely sometimes means reading books that make me uncomfortable, that challenge what I have believed or wake me up to things that I had no idea were happening in this country. This is one of those books. I tend to get defensive when I start reading (I’m working on that), so it can take a bit before I stop defending and start listening."


To be honest, not getting defensive is still something I'm working on - which makes me know I need to keep reading those uncomfortable books. This list, also from Penguin Random House gives us 49 Black Authors On Their Favorite Books by Black Authors.  The list included Edwidge Danticat and Colson Whitehead, both of whom I've recently "seen" on Zoom conversations, and Isabel Wilkerson who I will be seeing on another Zoom conversation soon. 


On a lighter note, I present to you 50 Hilarious Memes You'll Relate To If You Love Books from Buzzfeed. Since you're reading this, I know that these are right up your alley. This one is definitely me! I want so many books when I get to the bookstore that I often can't make a decision on which one is the perfect one to buy and walk out without any!


I was going to close with a quiz from Buzzfeed, Can You Guess The Famous Book From The Last Line? But they don't have the answers and I assure you that you will need the answers or you won't be able to do anything else until you've looked them all up. Or is that just me? 

Back next week with some actual book reviews. I've recently knocked off a couple of books from my Classics Club list!

No comments:

Post a Comment