Sunday, March 20, 2022

Happy Sunday! More importantly, happy first day of spring! We haven't quite reached the point where my perennials are starting to come up but we're close to that day - we're getting more warmer days than cold days now. The birds are singing in the morning, robins are eating up the dried berries off our tree in front, there are little squirrels chasing each other across the lawn. The cat is almost as excited about spring as I am. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I'm about to finish Amy Bloom's White Houses

Watched: We went to see the Oscar-nominated Animated shorts last night, as we have done many times. This year's crop was an entirely different breed of film from what we have largely seen in the past. A couple of them were really dark. Even the one that explored love was a downer. Still trying to figure out what that says about where the collective "we" are mentally.

Read:
 Finished Colm Toibin's Nora Webster for book club and I continue to read Karen Joy Fowler's Booth

Made: The Big Guy made a big pot of navy bean soup (he forgets that there are only two of us in the house and you can only eat navy bean soup so many times in a row!) and Thursday we had reuben sandwiches (which we will repeat again today because we have bread, meat and cheese left). 

Enjoyed: Book club Tuesday, a surprise birthday party for an old friend Friday, dinner and the movies with friends last night. So much socializing for this introvert! 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: More of 40 Bags In 40 Days, bringing out the Easter decor, trying to find more time to read. 

Thinking About: Ukraine. It's so heartbreaking and frustrating that we can't really do the only thing that might stop Russia. 

Feeling: Better. Did I tell you that I've been having trouble with sciatic pain for a few weeks? I'm finally seeing more good days than bad, thanks to exercises my physical therapist daughter-in-law sent me, making sure I move more, and being conscious of where I'm sitting. 

Looking forward to: A quieter week at work. Things have been crazy for several months and I think, fingers crossed, they may be slowing down. It will be nice not to come home mentally exhausted with work still to be done. 

Question of the week: How are you adjusting to Daylight Savings time? I love, love the longer sunshine in the evenings. 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely sympathize with the sciatica pain. (I have bursitis in my hip.) I need to be better at doing the exercises and moving more. Hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have the quiet week at work that you wish for! I had to have weeks and weeks of PT to help with my back and leg pains and the exercises they gave me do help a lot. But I must do them daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- I LOVE Daylight Savings Time. When everyone was going on about getting rid of DST, I was like "what about those summer evenings?" It's so wonderful to have light until 10pm, even if it's only for a few short days before the nights start encroaching again.

    I've had that awful sciatic pain too. OW - hope you're feeling better. The thing about the exercises is not to stop doing them once you do (feel better, that is). ;-)
    I see that The US is talking about staying on DST, which seems wonderful this time of year but maybe not so great mid-winter when the sun won't come until the kids have been in school for 2 hours. Depressing for them I would think. *sigh* No need for me to worry either way - it will be what it will be. Canada will probably do what the US does - not because it's right or wrong, but it's like, as the FIRST Trudeau Prime Minister said, our position is like sleeping with an elephant. Go with the flow or get crushed.

    ReplyDelete